stumped on urpmi problem

kmack

I have tried to figure out what I am doing wrong and no luck so far.

Tried urpmi evolution and after downloading a ton of files from texstar, got this error:

FINISHED --21:54:57--

Downloaded: 9,356,825 bytes in 6 files

The following packages have bad signatures:

/var/cache/urpmi/rpms/bonobo-1.0.21-1tex.i586.rpm

/var/cache/urpmi/rpms/aspell-0.50.2-2tex.i586.rpm

/var/cache/urpmi/rpms/gtkhtml-1.1.6-1tex.i586.rpm

/var/cache/urpmi/rpms/libgal21-0.21-4tex.i586.rpm

/var/cache/urpmi/rpms/libsoup3-0.7.4-1tex.i586.rpm

/var/cache/urpmi/rpms/evolution-1.2.0-5tex.i586.rpm

/var/cache/urpmi/rpms/libgtkhtml1.1_3-1.1.6-1tex.i586.rpm

/var/cache/urpmi/rpms/libevolution0-1.2.0-5tex.i586.rpm

/var/cache/urpmi/rpms/bonobo-conf-0.16-1tex.i586.rpm

/var/cache/urpmi/rpms/libaspell15-0.50.2-2tex.i586.rpm

/var/cache/urpmi/rpms/gnome-spell-0.5-1tex.i586.rpm

Do you want to continue installation ? (y/N) y

Installation failed, some files are missing.

You may want to update your urpmi database

I had just updated, but did so again and got this error:

[root@localhost kelly]# urpmi.update

unable to take medium "Updates for Mandrake Linux 9.0 (ftp1u)" into account as no list file [/var/lib/urpmi/list.Updates for Mandrake Linux 9.0 (ftp1u)] exists the entry to update is missing (one of Installation CD 1 (x86) (cdrom1), Installation CD 2 (x86) (cdrom2), International CD (x86) (cdrom3), texstar, update_source, Ranger-9.0, downloads)

How do I get the ftp1u entry removed or corrected? I am not even sure where it came from to be honest. Will urmpi.removemedia ftp1u do the trick? I don't want to goof it up more by doing this.

Thanks for your patience with this newbie!

You may want to update your urpmi database
Sometimes, you may want to make sure, with no rpm process running, that there are no _db.0 files in /var/lib/rpm. If there are, delete them, then rpm --rebuilddb.

"Updates for Mandrake Linux 9.0 (ftp1u)"
Ever run Mandrake Update? That's probably what this is. ???
How do I get the ftp1u entry removed or corrected? I am not even sure where it came from to be honest. Will urmpi.removemedia ftp1u do the trick? I don't want to goof it up more by doing this.
Not sure, urmpi.removemedia or something like it should. You can't really goof this stuff up, cause all you have to do is remove with the Sources Soft...Mgr.

Getting late here and I am starting to make mistakes.

bvc: Thanks again for help with this-

I looked in var/lib/rpm and at first didn't see the files using Konqueror in SU mode even with Hidden files turned on... but I did find two files by doing a locate cmd in the directory! Not sure why I cannot see them with GUI file mgr though? Here they are:

/var/lib/rpm/__db.001

/var/lib/rpm/__db.002

Are those the __db.0 files you referred to? I left them alone because I don't want to reek havoc with my newbie guesses, though it is fun figuring all this out. :wink:

The ftp1u thing is not shown in Software Sources Manager -- I checked it out by looking at the entries for the other items. I think when I installed the first update didn't work as it got timed out. That reference might be a piece of that aborted update.

I'll shut down shortly as I am too groggy to be much good at troubleshooting tonight.

Anon: Thanks for your input. I had just seen that post and took a look. Seems like just what we newbies need to get us going so we can learn how to do things ourselves.

Are those the __db.0 files you referred to?
Yes. If you are not running any rpm app, deleted them. Two, has always been the number of _db.0 in there....wonder why?

Not sure why I cannot see them with GUI file mgr though?
You know...it's dangerous to mess with certain things so we're not going to let you see it...kind of thing. Good old terms..gotta love'em!

Still scratching my head:

[root@localhost rpm]# ls

alternatives/  Filemd5s    Packages        Requireversion

Basenames      Group       Providename     Sha1header

Conflictname   Installtid  Provideversion  Sigmd5

Dirnames       Name        Requirename     Triggername

[root@localhost rpm]# find __db.0

find: __db.0: No such file or directory

[root@localhost rpm]# cd /

[root@localhost /]# find _db.0

find: _db.0: No such file or directory

[root@localhost /]# find __db.001

find: __db.001: No such file or directory

[root@localhost /]# locate __db.001

/var/lib/rpm/__db.001

[root@localhost /]# locate _db.0

/var/lib/rpm/__db.001

/var/lib/rpm/__db.002

This was done using Konsole terminal in su mode. I don't understand why I cannot "see" the files __db.001 and .002 but the "locate" cmd gives me a location for them. As you can see, the ls command does not show them and when I tried to rm them I get an error "no such file"

So either my syntax is wrong, or I don't understand the "locate" cmd. My ancient DOS skills are not helping much either. :oops:

Appreciate all the past help for this newbie.

I have surfed for hours both web and newsgroups, and haven't found my fix yet. Tried to run rpm --rebuilddb and got a segment fault error and now have new problems showing up.

Both Mandrake update and urpmi seem affected. Earlier I tried removing "update_source" but cannot remove the whole entry in Software Sources Manager. Just removed the entry details and left it empty.

[root@localhost kelly]# urpmi.addmedia --update updates ftp://public.ftp.planetmirror.com/pub/man...dates/9.0/RPMS/ with ../base/hdlist.cz

unable to inspect list file for "update_source", medium ignored

unable to take medium "Updates for Mandrake Linux 9.0 (ftp1u)" into account as no list file [/var/lib/urpmi/list.Updates for Mandrake Linux 9.0 (ftp1u)] exists

added medium updates

examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Installation CD 1 (x86) (cdrom1).cz]

examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Installation CD 2 (x86) (cdrom2).cz]

examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.International CD (x86) (cdrom3).cz]

examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.texstar.cz]

examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Ranger-9.0.cz]

examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.downloads.cz]  

unable to uncompress synthesis file at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0/urpm.pm line 869.

Anyone got any ideas how this newbie can get out of this mess? Thanks!