ATI Rage Magnum 3d fixed

cage47

I replaced my PCI Rage IIc with an agp Rage Magnum 16mb card. Getting my regular display reset was a hell of a lot less painful that on my windows dual boot. (only reset my display and resolution, windows required installing a whole new driver and rebooting twice heh)

EDIT: I said it before I'll say it again - Mandrake 10 ROCKS!!! I've read all about the problems setting up ati cards with drm. Well it took me a couple tries. I didn't do the setup right the first time. that's why I originally posted a message here. Well I did it a second time. And this time I hit the right buttons to get the card initialized. And it inlucded the 3d accelleration. The problem was that it retained my old card's config (the rage II+) But now the rage magnum is working great. I even loaded tuxracer and it runs great. I still have to find my actual frame rate but Tuxracer played excellent. No lag or jumpy play. And after all the problems I've heard of people having with ati cards. the rage128 setup is flawless and painless. I'm glad I came back now. I remember looking at seting it up in the 2.4 kernel and all the recompiling and everything involved. This was simpler than even windows driver setup. Nyah to all you people who say linux isn't ready for the desktop. I think I'm going down to half price books and get that copy of Quake Arena back. This is so excellent! I didn't expect it to be this easy. I expected to have to tinker a little. This is the way it is supposed to be. Sure I liked fiddling with things behind the scenes when Debian was on the machine but this is so much better.

Edited by cage47