ALSA trouble: help!

theYinYeti

Hello,

I have problems with ALSA. Most applications work just fine, using the ALSA driver! But ALSA tools themselves don't work: alsaplayer, alsamixer, aplay... All report the same thing: /dev/dsp: no such file or directory, or something like that...

Unfortunately, I want to run MythTV, which behaves exactly like aplay. What could be wrong?

I run Mdk9.1, with many lib* RPMs from Mdk10 CDs, and a custom kernel 2.4.25, upon which the following patches are applied:

- kraxel 2.4.25-rc1 (saa7134),

- epia2 (cle266, supermount).

Thanks,

Yves.

Sorry, I forgot to mention something that I think is important:

In the modules.conf file, I cannot put the usual 4 or 5 "alias sound-service-0-... ...-oss" lines, because then, when I reboot, the main sound module (via82xxx...) is not loaded and I get an error message more or less like that : "via82xxx... module cannot be loaded because the needed modules ...-oss, ...-oss, ... required by this module cannot be found".

So? Any idea? Is there a kernel option I missed somewhere?

Yves.

Bonjour theYinYeti,

Long time no hear eh?

I can't help you with the alsa problem, but maybe installing the latest 2.6 kernel may solve it for you. You could run it along side your existing kernel, so if it didn't work you could always switch back to the 2.4 kernel.

Might be worth a try.

Hi Anon !

It's been a long time indeed since I last came to the boards. I've had a lot of work. So much in fact, that I was in a mind, that computing was no more for me, that I should do something else... (I'm a "computing engineer").

I feel better now. There's less work, and I've started a nice personnal project: a Myth(or the like)-based PRV, the size of a VCR, thanks to the Mini-ITX format.

As you can see by the link to my viaarena post on top of the topic, it's not an easy task, but I'm confident I'll achieve what I want.

Concerning your proposition, I'd rather agree, except that I hesitate a lot before switching to 2.6. I tried Mdk10's 2.6 kernel once, only to find out, that no module would load anymore (even with a correct modprobe.conf file). I think it's because the modutils were 2.4's, not 2.6's. So it seems to me that several 2.4 kernels can coexist, as can several 2.6 kernels, but that 2.4 and 2.6 kernels cannot live together in the same boot partition. So just installing an additionnal 2.6 kernel seems not to be enough, and given the fact that I compiled and tweaked a lot of files already, I'd rather not reformat.

Still, I thank you a lot for your answer. It really adds weight to the 2.6 alternative, and I'll think again about it. By the way, what would be changed, in your opinion, by switching to 2.6? Oh, and: is it true that 2.6 is better optimized, and overall more responsive on the same machine?

Yves Gablin.

Personally, i believe the 2.6 kernel is the biggest event in recent kernel history. Its the only kernel i have ever installed (and i have installed a few).....that has actually made a boost in performance and speed.

The latest MDK kernel is 2.6.3.13mdk and is in on our download site or on any mirror inside the updates directory. I think you will find its worth trying out.

Good luck with your personal project, it sounds facinating, and your certainly clever enough to make it suceed. :thumbs:

the main sound module (via82xxx...) is not loaded and I get an error message more or less like that : "via82xxx... module cannot be loaded because the needed modules ...-oss, ...-oss, ... required by this module cannot be found".

So? Any idea? Is there a kernel option I missed somewhere?

Option maybe not, but module? If so (find /lib/modules/`uname -r` -iname '*via*') you may need to recompile the kernel to build the via drivers. If they are installed, edit /etc/modules.conf....

Edited by Hirogen2

Hi,

(Hirogen2, you misunderstood me, via sound module was here, but not OSS-emulation modules.)

Recompiling alsa solved the problem... and broke so much RPM dependences (I had to force-uninstall ALSA RPMs before I could make my own ALSA) that all became unstable.

Anon, you convinced me. First thing in the morning sunday, I dd'd / (just in case), then reformated it and installed Mdk10 (instead of 9.1) on it, so 2.6 kernel. By the end of the day, I had a working, stable, fast, self-compiled 2.6.6 kernel with all I want in it (more than I had achieved with 2.4).

Now, I don't know how to achieve cle266 DRI and MPEG hw decoding, but that's another story... Thanks Anon and Hirogen2 for replying.

Yves.

Edited by theYinYeti