Installing the nVidia Display Drivers

Guest Violator

Guest Violator

I was just wondering whether someone has succeded installing the nVidia drivers found on

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display...2_1.0-5336.html

on Mandrake 10CE with kernel v2.6.3.4mdk? Is there something special to be mentioned about the install process different from the README provided by nVidia? I just don't want hurt my X server again.. :)

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

There shouldn't be any problems except that the nvidia drivers originally had problems with 2.6.6 kernels, but since version 5336-rc3 it was solved, so make sure that you use that version of the drivers, otherwise it won't work!

that is the correct nvidia driver at the link you posted, unless you have an Itanium processor, then get the IA64 instead. you need to install the nvidia drivers. you can get them HERE .

download the file called NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-XXXX-pkg1.run & save it to your hardrive somewhere, then follow the instructions below to install............ (XXXX=current version number)

PLEASE NOTE:you must have the kernel source installed in order for the nvidia

drivers to function!

1. start the computer & choose the "failsafe" option to boot from. (this will boot you into text mode & dump you at a login prompt)

2. at the login prompt, type your user name (enter) password (enter)

3. type su (enter) password (enter) this will put you in root mode. then type...... init 3 (hit enter) to kill xserver. relogin as root.

4. navigate to the directory where you have the nvidia installer script.

5. type ls (enter) that will list the contents of the directory (in case you have more than one file on there. you're going to need to know the install script file name, in full.)

6. type the following. this is CapSenSItIve....... sh NVIDIA-LINUX-x86-1.0-XXXX-pkg1.run (XXXX=current version number)

7. accept the agreement, then answer yes to the prompts. it will load the drivers & when it's done it will dump you back at the prompt.

8. we're going to use VI to edit your xf86config file. follow the steps exactly as i type them. again, it's CapSensiTIve.

9. type vim /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 (enter)

10. type i (this is for insert mode so you can isert the proper driver line)

11. use your arrow keys & scroll to the section where it says Section "Module". under that, make sure there's a line that says Load "glx" # 3d layer . if there isn't, add it as the last line, then hit esc .

12. if it says either or both of the following under the "Module" section (Load "DRI" Load "Glcore"), remove them by typing i & using the arrow keys to navigate to them & the space or backspace bar(s) to remove them. hit esc .

13. type i & use your arrow keys to navigate to where it says Section "Device". navigate to where it says Driver "nv" or Driver "vesa" & make it read Driver "nvidia" .........that's Driver(space)(quotes)nvidia(quotes)

14. hit the esc key.

15. type :wq (enter) ..........that's (colon)wq then hit the enter key.

16. type reboot

you're computer will now reboot, choose linux from lilo as you normally would. if all went well (& it should have) you'll see a nvidia splash screen just before your GUI login.

also, one note. sometimes the nvidia drivers can cause random lockups. if you find that happening, use your favourite text editor, open that same XF86Config-4 file, & directly under where you changed Driver "nvidia", add the follwoing line..........

Option "NvAGP" "3" (that's Option(space)(quotes)NvAGP(quotes)(space)(quotes)3(quotes).

that will try to use the kernel agp drivers first, then nvidia agp if the kernel drivers don't work. other numerical options you can use with that are........

"0" (uses no agp support)

"1" (uses nvidia agpart only)

"2" (tries kernel agpart only)

save it, then restart X or reboot. smoke 'em if ya got 'em.

Chris

Edited by chris z