Is there a program like netlimiter for linux?

inha

I have to cap my UL to 20kB/s for p2p-progs. That seems to be the magical limit beyond which my downloads get killed by my uploads. I'm new to linux and I don't have a clue on even where to start with this thing. I need something program specific, meaning that it only affects dcgui and bittorrent or some prog in which I could just select the affected programs like in netlimiter for windows.

goddamn I'm going blind. I can cap the ul on dcgui itself. somehow I missed the option when I first went through with the gui.

Yes but if you do that you often are not allowed on servers with upload caps.

Have a look at this page

http://lartc.org/

Here is a relevant section

9.2.2.2. Sample configuration

A simple but *very* useful configuration is this:

# tc qdisc add dev ppp0 root tbf rate 220kbit latency 50ms burst 1540

Ok, why is this useful? If you have a networking device with a large queue, like a DSL modem or a cable modem, and you talk to it over a fast device, like over an ethernet interface, you will find that uploading absolutely destroys interactivity.

This is because uploading will fill the queue in the modem, which is probably *huge* because this helps actually achieving good data throughput uploading. But this is not what you want, you want to have the queue not too big so interactivity remains and you can still do other stuff while sending data.

The line above slows down sending to a rate that does not lead to a queue in the modem - the queue will be in Linux, where we can control it to a limited size.

Change 220kbit to your uplink's *actual* speed, minus a few percent. If you have a really fast modem, raise 'burst' a bit.

goddamn I'm going blind. I can cap the ul on dcgui itself. somehow I missed the option when I first went through with the gui.

Yes but if you do that you often are not allowed on servers with upload caps.

Have a look at this page

http://lartc.org/

Here is a relevant section

9.2.2.2. Sample configuration

A simple but *very* useful configuration is this:

# tc qdisc add dev ppp0 root tbf rate 220kbit latency 50ms burst 1540

Ok, why is this useful? If you have a networking device with a large queue, like a DSL modem or a cable modem, and you talk to it over a fast device, like over an ethernet interface, you will find that uploading absolutely destroys interactivity.

This is because uploading will fill the queue in the modem, which is probably *huge* because this helps actually achieving good data throughput uploading. But this is not what you want, you want to have the queue not too big so interactivity remains and you can still do other stuff while sending data.

The line above slows down sending to a rate that does not lead to a queue in the modem - the queue will be in Linux, where we can control it to a limited size.

Change 220kbit to your uplink's *actual* speed, minus a few percent. If you have a really fast modem, raise 'burst' a bit.

thanks. I'll look into it more closely.

this is what I get: could not find device "ppp0". would that be my cable modem? I've got a motorola sb5100e which has no linux drivers. it does work (duh) but I haven't been able to find any specific linux drivers for it.

Edited by inha