Just Ordered Windoz CDs of Neverwinter Nights Gold

Hugolino

Greetings all,

I just ordered a copy of Neverwinter Nights Gold for a song on eBay, but these are naturally the Windows PC version and I'm a bit puzzled by all the choices available for its installation. Should I use Ravage? If so, should I use Bioware's update afterwards? Or should I install with Neverwinter Nights with Nwine? Or with Bioware's downloadable install?

Another question: I would, naturally, like to play the cut scene movies, but when I downloaded the Linux port of Bink player twice and tried to run it nothing happened (in console and in KDE). Is there an alternative? I haven't decided yet whether I will tackle the instructions from the NWmovies web page because they intimidate a Linux newbie like me greatly and if I can't get Bink to work there seems no point.

I wanted to ask all these questions BEFORE my CDs arrived so I could try to tackle this project this weekend or the next with the advantage of having advice and downloads already at hand. Just FYI I'm running an AMD Athlon 2700 motherboard I believe, and a Tornado GeForce FX 5200 graphics card (Nvidia nForce sound card). My current install is Mandrake 10 OE from the mid-priced installer DVD (for desktop users, not servers). I checked NVidia's website and happily noticed that my currently installed drivers for NVidia are the latest ones available. So hopefully that spares me grief. :D

Thanks for your help in the past (and future). This forum has helped me a quite a bit already in trying to use Mandrake Linux as a sole desktop. It has been frustrating often and at times I'm tempted to jump to Windows, but I'm hanging in there and you guys have been a real encouragement (indirectly). :thumbs:

Sincerely,

Hugolino

Edited by Hugolino

If you follow the instructions for Gold on this link they will sort you out for the install - it worked for me anyway...

As far as playing the videos go - it is possible using an external video player. I've got it installed myself, but I can't remember what it's called.

I'll take a look and post back

Edit: just to warn you - nwn performance on linux can be a bit funny sometimes. For me it's almost always brilliant and then occasionally goes a bit jumpy. Your experience may be better/worse than mine. Best thing is to install it and see how you get on. People here may be able to help you improve things

Edited by phunni

Greetings all,

I installed Neverwinter Nights with the Bioware installer and all works flawlessly (to my amazement). But there are to related items which continue to elude me. (1) I can't get the Linux Bink viewer to work or respond at all. This is the official one that has been posted here and elsewhere as the one to use to watch Bink movies. (2) I had a friend download the Community Expansion Pack, which was far too large for me to download, and I had him download the RAR compressed version for Linux. Well... Mandrake 10 OE apparently doesn't have unRAR installed! And I can't install it off the DVDs either because it isn't there. Where can I find it? (I've already tried via Google)

Thank you all.

Sincerely,

Hugolino

Bink works fine for me, although I find that the NWN videos are a bit naff and boring, so I wouldn't be too upset by not being able to watch them. You can follow the story just fine without them anyway.

I must add that the Ravage installer is a much better option then the installer provided by Bioware IMHO. Simply because you do not need a windows install of the game to play it. All you do is make sure that your system supports Joliet extensions (which Mandrake does) and execute the script - installs so easily and painlessly.

Only problem I had was that in the UK version of the game that we got down here in South Africa, the CD key was printed so badly that I couldn't read it and it took two hours before I got it right. A looked like R, 0 looked like O - it was horrible.