Looking for good chess game

fuzzylizard

Hey,

I am looking for a good chess game. By good I mean preferably 3d, with move analysis, different levels -- beginner, intermediate, expert -- and some form of teaching aspect to it.

I have tried to look for chess games in the past and have become very confused. It seems that you can get a chess engine or a chess front end. Preferably I would like an all in one package.

Anyone know of any good programs?

Thanks

Unfortunately you have to go to Windows (Fritz is great, Chessmaster has all sorts of nice board layouts and options, but the engine is not as good as Fritz), for Linux there is Xboard and Crafty, but it's plain vanilla board layout. Analysis features are not so great, actually rather lousy.

For 3D, GlChess seems to be the best, and it uses good chess-engines as a back-end. Unfortunately, this program offers close to nothing to configure from the GUI, and does nothing else than basic chess (no training...).

For a good GUI, I've heard that Knights and eboard are good. I never tried them.

does anyone remember a game called "Battle Chess"
I do remember it. I liked it too, but on Atari ;-) not PC (I never ever owned Windows: I went direct from Atari to Linux).

You can still play Battle Chess with an Atari emulator. It works.

Yves.

Tried to install the RedHat-rpm of the babychess. Well i had to download libpng2.so first > OK > urpmi babychess... > ok and... NOTHING!. No trace of the installed software. Not even with urpmf or urpme. I run KDE and there should have been menu/desktop entries. Well Redhat RPMs do not always work obviously, but why no errormessages. What actually happend. Have anyone else tried this?