once you've installed a program

titous09

once you install a program through the console from the mandrake CDs, in which directory does it go?

i've recently installed gaim and do not know how to start it except for through the console. also, why does it never remember my login account information?

moved to software by tyme

Edited by tyme

What desktop do you use? It's probably in the menu somewhere (under networking probably)

If not then you can try alt-f2 which brings up a run box and you can just enter

gaim

Not certain if this works in gnome, but it does in KDE - pretty sure it does in gnome asa well. Can anyone confirm that?

the executable goes into /usr/bin/ and other files go elsewhere. if you want to create a menu item or desktop item to link to it just right click on either one and choose "add new launcher" (or something similar) and for the executable put: /usr/bin/gaim

it should remember your information so long as you tell it to in the account options (which I believe is under preferences when you login).

• 1 month later...

When you install a soft using "Mandrake Control Center" or "rpmdrake", it almost always add its icon to your differents environments (KDE, Gnome, enlightenment, twm, rox, fluxbox). At least, i'm sure gaim is one of those packages where the icon is added.

But installing this icon on every desktop is sometime really slow : just after you've installed a package, you should notice that there's a process eating 100% of your CPU called "update_menu". When this process ends, you should notice the little icon in your "desktop menu", DEPENDING ON WHICH DESKTOP YOU USE : i've never managed to get the icon in Gnome except by login off and login on. On fluxbox, you get a "refresh menu items" entry. I don't know for KDE.

This is the thing a bit odd for linux : you've got tons of desktop environment, but not a single developer of those have thought over a mean to share common properties with other desktop environments. :screwy: