I want the old Kmenu back...

Jezza

I just upgraded from Mandrak 92. (and KDE 3.1) to Mandrake 10 (and KDE 3.2) and I must say I hate the new Kmenu... I want the old 3.1 style back, with configuration and amusement menus, not this clustered view.

I tried moving it all back to how is was in MenuDrake, but when I save it, nothing's moved. I can add stuff to the current menus, but I can't move them to be like the old ones... Does anyone know what I can do?

Jezza

With 'kmenuedit' you can edit kmenu. (or rightclick the K-button in kicker and choose edit).

With 'menudrake' you edit the Mandrake startmenu (these are 2 different things).

My guess is that you use now the mandrake startmenu. To change it to kmenu, go in menudrake, to menu-style and tick 'original menu'. That way you get to use kmenu (it still has amusement and configuration in 3.2 :) )

OK, lol, thanks for pointing that out... In that case, I want the old 9.2 style Mandrake menu. And when I move everything back to how it was, and save it... It simply doesn't save!! It does the 'saving' thing, and then when I load the menu up again, or menudrake, for that matter... It's all back as it was!! Does anyone know what I need to do? I tried it as root, aslwell, BTW.

Edit:

I changed to the kmenu, and now I can't go back top the Mandrake menu... I selected it in menudrake, but it just won't go back!!

Edited by Jezza

do the following after editing the kicker menu............

in terminal run update-menus -v

restart KDE.

another thing to check.............. when you're in the menu editor, click the "menu style" button & make sure the only option checked is "all applications", then click on "environment" & make sure "kde" is checked. then save your changes.

Chris

Thanks, I have the Mandrake menu back, now!!! \o/

There's something I noticed, though, in the Way I can change the menu... I can add to the existing menus, and I can change icons... But I can't move anything into a new folder, unles I creat another WITHIN the existing folder, which cannot be moved from that folder... This is getting confusing.. and frustrating!!