NVidia Quadro FX 1100 and DrakConf

Relic2K

Hey all, long time no post :)

Here is my situation. I recently swapped my G4 Ti 4600 for a NVidia Quadro FX

1100, here are the specs;

NVIDIA Quadro FX 1100 by PNY

As you can see, it is quite a nice video card, so I really just don't want to give up my attempts at getting the card running in Mandrake 10, and go back to using my G4. My goal is to get 2 monitors running using this NVQuardroFX.

The problem I am having is that when I take out my G4, and reboot with the new card inserted, Kaduzu and Drakconf detect the hardware changes, but try to install the card as a Geforce FX. When I even try to attempt to setup the new video card, it keeps erroring out when I try to test the configuration.

They have linux drivers based on the latest Nvidia installers, but I can't seem to

get into X far enough to install the drivers.

I have done some searching on the Google/Mandrake forums, NVidia Linux forums, and these forums. What I did find was very limited, and or didn't work. Is anyone one else on the forum using this type of video card ? Does anyone have any other suggestions I can try ? Thanks.

Edited by Relic2K

The QuadroFX range of video cards are pretty much GeforceFX boards (same NV3x core, different settings enabled). The Quadro should run "as" GFFX without too many problems, you're missing out on Genlock support and application-specific driver optimisations for Maya, Softimage, 3dsmax and the like, that's about it.

Download the NVIDIA drivers from www.nvidia.com and install them from the command line (no X running or the installation routine will complain). That should do the job; the drivers should also recognise your Quadro properly as, well, a Quadro board with all the bells and whistles enabled.

-Sascha.rb

The QuadroFX range of video cards are pretty much GeforceFX boards (same NV3x core, different settings enabled). The Quadro should run "as" GFFX without too many problems, you're missing out on Genlock support and application-specific driver optimisations for Maya, Softimage, 3dsmax and the like, that's about it.

Download the NVIDIA drivers from www.nvidia.com and install them from the command line (no X running or the installation routine will complain). That should do the job; the drivers should also recognise your Quadro properly as, well, a Quadro board with all the bells and whistles enabled.

-Sascha.rb

Yeah I pretty much did that. It is erroring out when I try to install them, and yes the kernel source is installed for all the various kernels I boot. You can see them in /usr/src. I will post the error output that I get once I boot back over to linux.

Okay, I did manage to finally get X working by commenting out the "ServerLayout" sections at the bottom of the XF86Config-4 file.

When I try to install either of the drivers (PNY and NVidia latest) I keep running into this error;

"ERROR: Unable to deternine the NVidia kernel module filename"

Yes I read the README and Yes I checked the other forums. I added the nvidia lines to the /etc/modules.conf and /etc/modules.defvs files, but this didn't do anything either for me.

I have 2 different kernel sources in the /usr/src directory, and I am attempting to compile the driver against the "kernel-2.6.3-9mdk" source with the following installation options at run level 3;

sh NVidiadriverversionblah blah .bin --kernel=2.6.3-9mdksmp --kernel -source-path=/usr/src/linux

It starts to install just fine then errors out with the above error. Below in the install log. Pretty much all I have at this point. Can't get the drivers to install far enough to get more informtion than that.

nvidia-installer log file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log'

creation time: Mon Jun 14 10:35:27 2004

option status:

license pre-accepted : false

update : false

force update : false

expert : false

uninstall : false

driver info : false

no precompiled interface: true

no ncurses color : false

query latest driver ver : false

OpenGL header files : false

no questions : false

silent : false

XFree86 install prefix : /usr/X11R6

OpenGL install prefix : /usr

Installer install prefix: /usr

kernel source path : (not specified)

kernel install path : (not specified)

proc mount point : /proc

ui : (not specified)

tmpdir : /root/tmp

ftp site : ftp://download.nvidia.com

Using: nvidia-installer ncurses user interface

-> License accepted.

-> Not probing for precompiled kernel interfaces.

-> Kernel source path: '/usr/src/linux'

ERROR: Unable to determine the NVIDIA kernel module filename.

ERROR: Installation has failed. Please see the file

'/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for details. You may find suggestions

on fixing installation problems in the README available on the Linux

driver download page at www.nvidia.com.

I just downloaded and installed the 2.6.7 smp kernel and sources., removed all of the other older kerenls and source packages from my computer, rebooted to get the new kernel to take effect, and I am still getting the same error. I am totally stumped on this one. I have pretty much tried everything the README says, all the forum suggestions I could find related to the NVIDIA drivers. I have never run into

such a stubborn problem such as this. Perhaps I should just do a clean install right from scratch ?

• 2 weeks later...