No sound on realplayer

dhossbach

Mandrake 8.1 - basic Soundblaster board.

After installing the sound board on Mandrake 8.1 everything went fine. I started Realplayer and could listen to music. Now, the next time I start the computer and try to run Realplayer I get the following messge; "audio device may used by another application". It is really strange, since I did not use anything before.

This message appears also somtimes on another computer with 8.1 but and it will usualy work after a new boot, but not on this one

What can be done about his problem ?

Also I have never been able to listen to CD's on 8.1 nor on 8.2 but the system sound, realplayer and xine do have sound. Perhaps there is also some way to fix this problem?

Thanks for any suggestion.

Guest davebsr

What drivers are you running (lsmod will tell you modules running)?

Did you change anything just prior to this problem?

What Window Manager do you use? KDE? Gnome?

Sounds like it might be a sound server problem...

In use is Kde 2.2.1. The sound module is es1371.

Nothing particular was changed and as I said, on one of the computers the problem with realplayer occurs at random. First I sought it had something to do with win4lin, but the problem appears also when it is not loaded.

Guest davebsr

It might be the KDE sound demon. I don't use KDE, but I bet you can turn it off from the KDE control panel.

also, you may want to try running icewm or another WM that does'nt provide it's own sound daemon...if it is the daemon that is improperly configured/misusing your sound card, switching WM's/turning off the sound daemon should make your sound work. That is waht I would try next.

Are you sure the card itself is working fine?