Interesting discovery about ATI cards and colours

phunni

A number of times I've seen people with ATI cards mention that they sometimes get wierd colouring after switching between virtual consoles - I have also had exactly this problem.

I discovered today, that starting Dosbox (so I can play Prince of Persia 4D ;) ) fixes the colours.

I have no idea why and I suspect that there is an easier way of doing it that simply starting dosbox - but I found it very interesting.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how this might be developed into a useable solution?

It's probably just a normal kernel with the open source version of the drivers. I'm not sure if they give the same problem or not - does anyone else know?

NeoXP: it doesn't matter what version of X you've got - it should all be fine. These are kernel modules. The version of the modules would be almost completely up to date since it is 2.6.3

Edited by phunni

Does anyone have any thoughts on how this might be developed into a useable solution?

I guess your DOS game use VESA VBE. It's a set of 16 bit functions located in the bios of the graphic card, accessible through int 10h with ax=4f..h, used to have informations about the card, initialize it, access the video memory and so on..

May be the ATI Linux driver set badly a register on the card that is cleared by a VESA function ?

As phunni said, its just the kernel. Here's the ATI-GLX-UTILS for the XFREE86-4.3 server

Forgive me, I'm confused :cheeky:

Do you mean that it is a kernel that I can install and boot into? If so, is it a kernel that comes with support (like 3D) for an Ati-card?