Best choice for older computers?

Guest H'bert

I am not saying a default install of XP runs smooth on 128 megs of RAM. This box iis a loaded Dell 8250.

The box next to me is a 500Mhz AMD w/ 92 megs of SDRAM and 8 meg shared video. Althogh 98se was lightning fast on that machine after an msconfig *uncheck all* I probably could not insall XP on it, but the point is that I can't run Mandrake 10 on it either.

After 98se I had Win2k advanced server on the system as my desktop, although it was slower to load than 98se, I can't remember it being much less responsive or even slow.

(I just threw my XP pro CD in the drive and began to install XP on it jto test)

Dragon, I know there are other solution, check out the section under Impractical solutions in the article.

Anyway, on XFCE I am missing the top task bar. so if I minimize a windows in XFCE I have no way to recover it again.

I know in kde you can kill or restart teh kicker process, if I know the name of the process I can maybe start it manually or... add a script to start that process when I log in.

priest if its unresponsive then its probably the video driver...

also what services are running... 92 MB RAM is pushing it for a 2.6 kernel but it should feel OK on that machine....

I have a celeron PII 266 that runs fine with X although its only 128 MB RAM and that makes KDE slow along with the crap onboard intel graphics

I think the apps that is going to make it crawl is KDE and OO.o. I have a P2-333 with 128 MB of RAM. With a bit of hard disk trashing.. it can run KDE 3.1.4, OO.o, Evolution, and Firefox. Now, if that is my own desktop, I will run Fluxbox on that instead and use Firefox and Thunderbird for the internet. The problem is that it is an office computer and they want standardization (KDE, Evolution, Firefox, OO.o for all computers no matter what the specs are). I am actually tempted to turn that computer into a thin client instead.

However, the second worst computer in the office is a P2-350 with 192 MB of RAM and it can run all those "standard" programs with no problem, and still have plenty of juice to run xmms. So the issue here will be RAM. Adding another 128 MB of RAM will do wonders to your desktop.