automatic patching

Guest cmap

Guest cmap

hi

how do i automatically patch mandrake 10 ? the equivalent of up2date on redhat apt-get on debian etc ? i want to do at the command line not rpmdrake or other gui as it needs to be crontabbed.

cheers.

[moved from Software by spinynorman - welcome to the board :) ]

urpmi --auto -auto-select

make sure your sources are updated first though.

urpmi.update -a && urpmi --auto --auto-select

also consider what you don't want automatically updated and put them in /etc/urpmi/skip.list

I have;

kernel

kernel-source

grub

lilo

XFree86

in mine amd do them myself if I want to update them.

SEE: the man page for urpmi for more.....or ask! ....welcome to the board!

Edited by bvc

hi

thanks for the pointer, i'm still not sure of how things hang together..

I ran the following to get the hdlists -

urpmi.addmedia --update updates http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distri...dates/10.0/RPMS with ../base/hdlist.cz

urpmi.addmedia main http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distri...6/Mandrake/RPMS with ../base/hdlist.cz

urpmi.addmedia contrib http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distri....0/contrib/i586 with ../../i586/Mandrake/base/hdlist2.cz

then -

urpmi --auto-select

which seemed to download a bunch of packages.

for example i have cvs 1.1.11 i saw 1.1.14 come down at this point. the cvs one fails. when i look at security advisories its up to 1.11.16 so why's that not down. apache similarly 1.3.29 but security advisory 1.3.31....

The only place on my system with lots of rpms is in /usr/postinstall-rpm

am i on the right lines ? I've hunted about a bit but i think i'm just gettting a bit here and a bit there and missing the big answer. Thanks.

Elaine

Edited by cmap

I there a way to just list the packages that would be installed without installing them?

I would run a nightly cron job that emails me a list of all the packages that are out of date so that I can install them manually myself.

(I can probably figure it out on my own but if someone has done it I'd love to save time)

I tried using the urpmi --auto --auto-select when I was running mdk8 and ran into major issues where my system started getting totally unstable, but I think it's because I had textar/plf and cooker as part of my urpmi media so it would automatically update to unstable releases.