Multiple boot question

NeoXP

Hi everyone,

At the moment I'm dual-booting ML (It is a fresh install) and XP. I want to install 1 or 2 more distro's (like maybe Knoppix, Overclockix or Mepis).

How can I install multiple distro's, I know I can create 1 partition as swap, but when I create 1 partition as /boot and 1 partition as /home, can I use them for all the distro's I plan to install?

I have installed Overclockix (besides ML and XP) but I can't figure out how to configure my lilo.conf to get them running from Lilo (XP is on hda1-hda9, swap is on hda10, ML is on hda11 and Overclockix is on hda12, both ML and Overclockix with there own /boot and /home).

Thx.

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=5082 for the overall answer. For the first question: some distros cannot share a /home/user directory if user is the same username on both, because they have different UIDs and that is ultimately how permissions are given. You can, however, ork around this and sync the two users' UIDs and all should be well (don't ask me how to do that...lol). Edited by Steve Scrimpshire

On sharing /home

Yep for me its a tradeoff between convenience and possibility of FUBARing something.

the UID and GID's can be changed easily and if you dont know how its better not to becuase thats potentially a start of problems.

If you ls -a your /home you'll see a lot of hidden directories like .kde or .gnome and these can hold version specific stuff that can FUBAR everything. Im not saying it will but it CAN....

personally I share them across a couple of distros sometimes but you always get a few unexpeted things....

So You need only a single /swap and you need a / for each distro

You can use /opt or you can make /usr/local a different partition etc to make sure you share stuff across distros... i tend to make a /media which I use for MP3's and video etc. for instance ....

@Steve:

Thx, for pointing me to the faq's, I'm sorry I did'nt take the trouble to look at it before coming up with my question. :zzz:

The faq indeed gives me all the answers

@Gowator:

At the moment I can't do without XP, still looking for a good p2p client for Linux (so all my mp3 and other data is on a FAT32 partition) and trying to get my modem to work in Linux for telebanking (maybe with VMWare for Linux).

But when I finally get rid of XP, I will keep your advice in mind about setting up a partition accessible from different distro's.

I want to install 1 or 2 more distro's (like maybe Knoppix, Overclockix or Mepis).

You don't really have to format or partition anything to try Knoppix since it runs from the CD B)

Before I installed mandrake or got into Linux at all, I tried Knoppix in my winXP box, and here I am.

You don't really have to format or partition anything to try Knoppix since it runs from the CD 

Before I installed mandrake or got into Linux at all, I tried Knoppix in my winXP box, and here I am.

Knoppix also was my first experience with Linux, but since my onboard features were not recognized, I searched and found Overclockix.

I like the distro, so I installed it to my HD to experiment with it. I found an interesting thing about upgrading to another kernel on their forum:

click me!!!!!

I want to try it and see if I can do that to Mandy as well. If it works on Mandy I'll post my experience.

/edit: typos/

Edited by NeoXP