Connection problems "Document contains no data"

deathkrush

believe _pluto_adns is something to do with freeS/WAN, but don't know much about it, so perhaps the problem lies there - anybody? Perhaps all your data is being tunnelled through this VPN, and this is causing the problem??

That certainly would explain it....perhaps its just constantly trying to tunnel to a non existant VPN and only when its rejected does it go elsewhere ??

if deathcrush hasnt deliberatly installed it and is using it then it would be better to stop the service and see if that fixes the prob... Id assume theres an entry for it in /etc/init.d

and while your at it

As an aside, you have a few daemons running in there you may not need - rpc, portmap - best turned off if you don't need them.
you can turn these off too (just as a good measure unless your using them like for nfs ?)

Perhaps the best way is to just use mandrake control centre and the services to turn these off

I tend to do thisby hand but I know its in there somewhere ?? anyone ??

I also notice your somewhat strange routing table.

I don't see that it will cause problems, as they both point to eth1 - which is the interface for the default gateway, but the 3rd and 4th entries seem redundant to me.

The netmask for them is 128.0.0.0, not 255.0.0.0 as you would expect. Perhaps this is an ipsec / freeS/WAN thing??

You can turn the services off using webmin (good, isn't it - better than Mandrakes configuration tools) if you like.

Chris

Yep that route table is ugly but I guess its from the VPN... since I never looked into VPN's much!

Also apart fromthe 0.0.0.0 there is no specific default ! again is this VPN ?

If it were me I'd do a

route del 128.0.0.0

route del 0.0.0.0

route del 0.0.0.0

route add default gw eth1

but you might not need to once you remove the VPN stuff.

If you do need the VPN then Id recommend deinstalling for now and a fair bit of readiong before implementing it!

Well, yesterday I was getting rid of networking applications I don't need, including FreeSwan. It seems that my connection is better now, I haven't gotten any error messages so far.

I think FreeSwan messed up my routing table, it looks weird comparing to the one on my other Linux computer. Right now the routing table is back to normal, its only 3 entries.

Thanks to everyone who helped me solved this, I am now a happy camper :D