Laptop Modem Success

SoulSe

I abandoned my last thread to keep things neat...

Ok, success!!! I have the laptop's modem installed - thanks to DragonMage and four hours of frustration! It turns out to be a hsf modem.

Now, the weird thing is that the ONLY way I can dial-up with the modem is if I install and use wvdial and configure it properly.

The modem installs as /dev/ttySHSF0 without a symlink to /dev/modem

Also, whenever I restart, it dissapears and I have to run hsfconfig again...

So - while wvdial has no problems using this modem, I cannot dial through Mandrake Control Panel or add the modem with linuxconf / modemconf

Anyone who can help me clear this last hurdle will surely go to heaven. I can't believe I actually got this sucker to dial!!!

All mandrake control center do is basically open up kppp.

Now, I have a feeling you just don't want to open up a terminal just to use wvdial, and you want something similar to dial-up networking in windows.

To do that. Just drag the kppp icon from Start menu -> Networking -> Remote Access -> kppp to the desktop and select copy. Then open kppp using that icon and put all the relevant info (the modem device which is /dev/modem, the phone number, the username and password, etc etc) then check the relevant checkmarks (I like a log window and that modem applet to show up in my panel (Dock into panel on connect choice)) and when you double click on that icon in the desktop.. voila.. dialup :)

As for the /dev/modem disappearing every reboot, I dunno really. I used to use the HCF version of the modem and the driver and it seems to have no problem keeping the symlinks and whatnots after reboot. Does it just the /dev/modem that disappear or the whole /dev/ttySHSF0 also? If it is just the /dev/modem.. just add a command that symlink /dev/modem to /dev/ttySHSF0 in your /etc/rc.d/rc.local file.

The problem is that not only /dev/modem dissapears every time, the whole /dev/ttySHSF0 vanishes everytime I restart! wvdial seems to be the only program clever enough to dial on this modem.

Is devfs enabled? You must configure /etc/modules.conf or /etc/devfsd.conf such that it loads the driver for your modem when you try to access it.

I believe that all your hsfconfig program does is to load the driver and maybe do some mknod and little tuning.

When I created a link from /dev/ttySHS0 to /dev/modem, the modem remained after reboot. 

Works fine now, except in Mandrake Control Panel (I am not too impressed with the network section of the Control Panel).

Agree completely. Underdeveloped to say the least. Its Windows XP counterpart is a lot better.

Its Windows XP counterpart is a lot better.
I can't believe I am saying this - but I agree with you.

I have resorted to ignoring the Mandrake Control Panel for networking and using webmin for creating all my nfs exports, etc...