downloading mandrake 10 OE ISOs

null

I tried to download disc 1 last night, but it errored out and said: Download error: There is not enough room on the disk to save /tmp/fmpwext.exe

Did I d/l the wrong thing? I went to ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/mandrakelinux/offi...l/iso/10.0/i586

and selected disk 1

I had tried a couple of closer places to me (US) but one of them was d/l at 8Kb/sec and the other was going at the blazing speed of 5Kb/sec. So I looked for some european sites and tried the above one, which was d/l at an average rate of around 80Kb/sec - slow but alot better...

Anyway, I noticed that the size of the disk 1 was something like 711,000 Kb - isn't that bigger than a CD ??

My machine I am working with is a RH9 box with an old 6Gb H-D. It is a recent clean install (not really any data yet). The only major thing I have on it is the 4 FC1 ISOs, which I have not yet burned to CDs. They take up around 2Gb or more of space. But shouldn't I have enough room for the mandrake ISOs ?

I tried to download disc 1 last night, but it errored out and said: Download error: There is not enough room on the disk to save /tmp/fmpwext.exe

An ".exe" file... strange... and in /tmp ? (unless that is where you wanted to save the .iso file

Did I d/l the wrong thing?  I went to ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/mandrakelinux/offi...l/iso/10.0/i586

and selected disk 1

I tried that address and it don't seem to exist. Try this address:

ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/Linux/distribution.../iso/10.0/i586/

Anyway, I noticed that the size of the disk 1 was something like 711,000 Kb - isn't that bigger than a CD ??

Figuring 1024 bytes per kilobyte would equal 716,800 KB per "700" CD... then figure an ISO image has some extra stuff written to the file that tells your burner what to do... and it can be even larger. If I remember from when I did mine... It worked out to a 699 MB disc 1. Yes it will fit.

My machine I am working with is a RH9 box with an old 6Gb H-D.  It is a recent clean install (not really any data yet).  The only major thing I have on it is the 4 FC1 ISOs, which I have not yet burned to CDs.  They take up around 2Gb or more of space.  But shouldn't I have enough room for the mandrake ISOs ?

Open a terminal and do this:

df -a

and then we can tell if you got enought room.

Yeah, I didn't know what the .exe and the /tmp were either. I selected my home directory to save the iso.

Thanks for the df -a. I tried a couple of terminal cmds, but none gave me what I wanted. I'm still new at this. Here's the results:

Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used   Available   Use%   Mounted on
/dev/hda2              5581824   4702800      595480    89%         /
none                         0         0           0    -           /proc
usbdevfs                     0         0           0    -           /proc/bus/usb
/dev/hda1               101089      9324       86546    10%         /boot
none                         0         0           0    -           /dev/pts
none                    127632         0      127632     0%         /dev/shm

when I installed RH9, I let it automatically do its disk setup. If its goofy, please tell me how to make it better.

Edited by null

It says that you have available :

--> 595480 (~ 520 MB) , and 89% used, if hda2 is the partition you are trying to save the iso on. Not enough ;-)

You say you have a 6 GB HD:

Installed system ~ 1.4 GB or more ?

4x RH isos ~ 2.8 GB

Also 5%-10% are reserved for something

ok, thanks. Guess I will burn the 4 FC2 ISOs to CDs and then delete them from my computer. I've never burned any ISOs under linux, but I'm sure I can figure it out - if not, I've always got this board...

Or I can download the mandrake ISOs on my win2k machine and burn the ISOs with Nero. That machine has 10.5Gb available.

I'll try the nluug site, as Ix suggested. I remember downloading from that site in the past, and having good luck.

I can't believe that my 6Gb disk in my linux machine is almost gone - with only a RH9 install on it, a few other progs such as k3b, and the 4 FC1 ISOs. However, I am giving that machine to my 6-yr old son, so no prob. The new machine I am building is going to have a brand-new 200Gb W-D hard-drive.