winex subscription

Hey, I'm thinking of getting a wineX subsciption soon...it was just my birthday, and I got about $100 to spend :P anyways, just making sure, this is like, you subscribe and DL it, not you subscibe to use it right? Also, is it really updated enough to make it worth subscribing for a few months? I'm not gonna subscribe for a long time, for there are other things I need to buy...but I wanna play Black and White and the Command and Conquer games...

The minimum time you can subscribe is 3 months (15 dollars US). You can subscribe and cancel to get the latest copy of Winex. Their is winex and Point2Play. I download them as new ones come out. I have the winex3 file but I use Point2Play.

Point2Play is winex3 but with its own GUI. You set up your winex account with it and it downloads a different version (Point2Play version) and installs its for you.

You can download the winex3 file and install it. Frank made his own "Point2Play" shell. Its called winex game manager. Here it is:

http://www.franksworld.net/wgm.html

Using Winex is free. The subscription is for downloading the prepackaged files, which is ell wortyh the money if you want to use winex as the free cvs version does NOT inlcude several of transgamings proprietary commercial dll's which are required for many games.

It's very easy to cancel, I've done it several times and there is a small update about once per month and major updates every 3 to 6 months so IMO it is worth subscribing for as long as you can afford it.

Personaly, I prefer to use winex through a console as opposed to using point to play. p2p is nice and al but everything is stored in seperate folders, and some things don't play nice that way. I also find point to play to be cumbersome, though that's just personal prefereence. you should at least try it. Just remember that anything you install with point to play is ONLY accessible through point to play and it's seperate from regualr winex.

i don't use point2play simply because one of the games i use winex for is everquest, and the patcher looks in the current directory (present working directory) for the files. with point2play, it looks in my home folder, sees nothing, and begins to download all the files form the server.

it was ugly...

i would subscribe for the minimum 3 months, get the newester version, and then decide in 3 months if you want to keep it or not. you should know by then :)

I've been subscribed for almost a year. My only problem is that unsubscribing is a bitch, because subscription accounts are handled by a third party who you have to cancel with... not too big a mission though.

Point2play sucks, but other than that the subscription is worth it if you do a lot of gaming.

yea, I've seen that FreeCNC before...couldn't get it to work...and it doesn't work for Tiberium sun, RA2, and doesn't work well with normal Red Alert...Also, it does not appear to support the expansion packs.

My only problem is that unsubscribing is a bitch, because subscription accounts are handled by a third party who you have to cancel with... not too big a mission though.

This problem is easily avoided, though, if you sign up for one of the accounts that does not automatically renew.