Sun to Open Source Solaris

tyme

Kinda a shame Solaris is a great technical OS but the machines were never really good at anything in particualr....

IBM always had superiror CPU ... and disk/raid but lousy graphics

SGI always had better graphics....and 3D but lousy fp CPU

Sun never quite decided.... its forte was its OS.... and unfortunately linux has taken over it.

Its a shame because solaris is technically better (lets not go too deep) but IMHO every NON MS OS computer is a extra one that says CHOICE!

A lot of Solaris was OS, such as NFS etc. and NIS...

Its good to see old Solaris servers still doing their job....

Its not that I prefer it to linux i prefer linux BUT I just think its tragic that a significant amount of non_MS machines mightl disapear and then the market split. Ultimately MS will steal some market share from *nix and this in itself is bad becuase MS always use their position to dominate and subjegate the market.

Perhaps Im being paranoid but this sounds like some sorta trap!!!

Like SCO leaving a briefcase of code in your office!

Slowaris is a good OS, and I don't care what people say, but there hardware is ROCK solid. I have workstations that are 10+ years old that are still kicking for various things like ftp servers and using (gentoo) on some of them ;) Not to many x86 box's can hang that long.

Anyway, Solaris 10 has some cool things comeing in it too. But, what is going to happen to it after they open it up will remain to be seen.

and I don't care what people say, but there hardware is ROCK solid

that want ME.... I just said they were master of nothing and kack of all.

I'm getting a refurb U60 on Monday....

reason....

new policy ... all PC's are rebooted automatically weekly and they reserve the right to do it whenever they want...

Its 3x this week already and each one looses me hours of work....

even more after I get pissed and spend an hour here while I rebuild the model it took hours to make in Solaris....

My PC is basically a thin client for Solaris... its all i use it for except IE (since we have no internet access from UNIX ) and notes client...

DOH....

I guess the internet access is a security thing right....

Oh yep Solaris/linux isnt safe to use on the internet ?????

problem is its a .ins file not a .pac so it needs IE to use it.

second prob.... Yep COME ON IBM..... do a native linux version of notes !!! Even AIX ....

Anyway, talk about screwy.... most of my work is done 300 miles away by remote access so Ill be using mainly mozilla !

p.s cybr: have you used Tarantella.

this is my thin access method... it worked great till we got the new dumbed down XP machines... now policy says they cant let it alter the registry so when it downloads the java certs you have to press the registry editing is disabled on this machine.. you have been reported to .... button!

I cant imagine why but it puts off some of the users....