C++ program ideas

Aight, I know a bit of console C++ (by a bit, I mean I read the cplusplus.com tutorial, but dont' remember most of it, so I have to look it up)...usually I program with Dev-C++ on windoze, but every time I write a massive program (it never fails) either a few days after I start or a few days after I finish, windoze crashes and I have to reinstall and I lose it...and usually if I just started I don't feel like doing it all over again. Anyways, I've decided to try on Linux, but I need some ideas of what to program. I can't do graphics yet...I'll look into that this summer...but I am willing to spend a long time on this.

Here's the kinda stuff I've done before:

a 40-some page 4x4 tic-tac-toe prog in NQC (not quite C, programming lang for Lego Mindstorms)...this took weeks

a long RPG game in C++ which I never did finish...it was messed up and I couldn't figure out why...I spent several months on that

many many translator type programs in my early C++ days...convert text to binary or hex or octal or 1337 and back (except 1337)...spent a month or two on all those

and my most recent: I started a prog much like XTux (I didn't know of that at the time) where you have to get into M$ and destroy their new project...Windoze crashed after I spent about 5 hours on that, mostly fine-tuning my attack task, and I didn't feel like starting over.

any ideas?

[moved from Offtopic by spinynorman]

Aight, I know a bit of console C++ (by a bit, I mean I read the cplusplus.com tutorial, but dont' remember most of it, so I have to look it up)...usually I program with Dev-C++ on windoze, but every time I write a massive program (it never fails) either a few days after I start or a few days after I finish, windoze crashes and I have to reinstall and I lose it...and usually if I just started I don't feel like doing it all over again. Anyways, I've decided to try on Linux, but I need some ideas of what to program. I can't do graphics yet...I'll look into that this summer...but I am willing to spend a long time on this.

Here's the kinda stuff I've done before:

a 40-some page 4x4 tic-tac-toe prog in NQC (not quite C, programming lang for Lego Mindstorms)...this took weeks

a long RPG game in C++ which I never did finish...it was messed up and I couldn't figure out why...I spent several months on that

many many translator type programs in my early C++ days...convert text to binary or hex or octal or 1337 and back (except 1337)...spent a month or two on all those

and my most recent: I started a prog much like XTux (I didn't know of that at the time) where you have to get into M$ and destroy their new project...Windoze crashed after I spent about 5 hours on that, mostly fine-tuning my attack task, and I didn't feel like starting over.

any ideas?

[moved from Offtopic by spinynorman]

You have lego mindstorms?

Did you make a tic tac toe robot?????

I hail thy!

Why dont you grab yourself a CD burner, they are damn cheap now, or sign up for a tripod.com or geocitis and you can back it up to there -- its worth it.

[qoute]any ideas about what exactly?

any ideas about what I can program...anything that happens to pop into your head

I would do that backup thing...as that would be awesome...but:

a ) I don't know how to program variable filenames

b ) I've never been able to get it to copy things...I've tried many times...

You have lego mindstorms?

Did you make a tic tac toe robot?????

I don't think I ever DLed it...and it wasn't really a tic-tac-toe bot...what it did was you'd hit the buttons on 2 homebrew sensors (4 touch on one port) and then it would display it's move on the screen...That was one of the about 200 programs I made but never DLed...it's funny...I'd either program and not build the bot, or build the bot and not program...or sometimes do both but never connect the two...then I started programming more, building less...then I decided to try programming it in C++...couldn't find a tutorial for programming it using C++, so I just learned normal C++ :P

Edited by Urza9814