massive log files

brucedjones

i noticed a few days ago that my "/" partition was starting to get fuller and fuller quicker and quicker, after a day another 1GB's worth of stuff has appeared. so i went through my main dir's to figure out where all these huge files where and found them to be in /var/log/ so im guessing they are only log files...but why do they have to be so big?? and more importantly how can ni stop them getting so big??

im using mandrake 9.2 and the files in question are:

/var/log/

syslog - 1.2GB

messages - 1.2GB

/var/log/kernel/

info - 401.3MB

errors - 872.4MB

ok if i puy the /var directory on another partition will they just grow until its full and then stop. and it wont let me delete the massive logs so i cant move it as it stands because the current dir is about 4GB and the new partitions only 2.2GB

How long has it taken for them to get this way? If not very long then something is seriously wrong. Is there any critical info in them that would give a clue as to why this is happening?

Make sure you have

anacron

atd

logcheck

(where'd logrotate go?)

Personally, I uninstall them all and do not run any of them ONCE I know all is well with the system/install, but this is just a desktop.

Edited by bvc

Importance depends on what the logs say. If it only took a week for them to grow to this size, then like bvc said, something is seriously wrong. My log files are much smaller even after letting them grow for almost 2 1/2 years.

Read the logs a little, especiallt at the end of the files. See if they can tell you what's causing these files to grow so fast. If you're stumped, post a small snippet here.

The separate partition for /var is a real good idea, and IMHO should be the default for any Linux install.

I'm sorry I only skimmed your post the first time and didn't spot how fast it was growing. :(

If you go to Applications - Monitoring - System Log, you should be able to see your logs in a convenient form. It defaults to messages, but you can use File - Open to access your other logs.