Need a little help with fstab entries.

kmc77

Ok, I finaly got my USB HD to work in 10.0 OE. But when supermount mounts it, the transfer rate is really slow. Also supermount is moody. Sometimes It will mount, sometimes it won't. I decided to make my own entry in fstab so that I can manually mount it (I've read that this will also help the speed issue). Here's what I have:

/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 /mnt/usbhd vfat rw,noauto,user,exec 0

This accomplishes the mounting, but when I open the directory, this is what I get (see attached screenshot)

Where have I messed up in my fstab entry? someone please help. I would like to move some files off of my desktop, and am getting a little desperate here.

[EDIT] V V V Those are all direcotries in that picture V V V

post-9-1085958041.jpg

Edited by kmc77

Ok, I was having a micro$oft moment. I was making things more confusing than they needed to be.

I had mounted the usb hd as root and was trying to open it outside of console. It wouldn't let me. When I unmounted it and remounted as regular user, everything works fine. BTW Transfer rate is 50X faster. Serious. It is actually working at USB 2.0 speed. When supermount mounted it, it was transfering about 300kbps. I am a happy camper.

Sometimes, just posting a question makes me think about it a little diffrently than I was.

I hope this helps someone else who may be having the same problem.

I guess I was a little too hasty with the RESOLVED status. Still having a little problem. When I booted up my system, MDK made some changes to my fstab line. It now looks like this:

/dev/hda1 / ext3 noatime 1 1
none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
/dev/hda6 /home ext3 noatime 1 2
none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/hdc,fs=udf:iso9660,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0
none /mnt/cdrom2 supermount dev=/dev/hdd,fs=udf:iso9660,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0
none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850 0 0
/dev/sda1 /mnt/usbhd vfat umask=0,user,noauto,exec 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/hda5 swap swap defaults 0 0

Problem now - I only have read access. Can someone help me correct this so that I can also write and delete on my USB HD?

Ok, made the change.

/dev/hda1 / ext3 noatime 1 1
none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
/dev/hda6 /home ext3 noatime 1 2
none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/hdc,fs=udf:iso9660,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0
none /mnt/cdrom2 supermount dev=/dev/hdd,fs=udf:iso9660,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0
none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850 0 0
/dev/sda1 /mnt/usbhd vfat rw,noauto,user,exec 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/hda5 swap swap defaults 0 0
none /mnt/zip supermount dev=/dev/scsi/host2/bus0/target0/lun0/part4,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,kudzu,codepage=850 0 0

But now I can't mount usbhd at all. This is what I get:

[kevin@kevins kevin]$ mount /mnt/usbhd
mount: special device /dev/sda1 does not exist

I guess I'll try adding the umask=0 and the extra 0 back in. If anyone has any thoughts on this, I would appreciate the input

Added the 2nd 0 back in, and I can mount again, but supermount mounts it (which I don't want because when supermount mounts it, it is slow as heck) and I have to umount /mnt/removable and then mount /mnt/usbhd, to get it where I want it to be. I thought the noauto part of that line was supposed to fix that.

Idealy here is what I want: I want to be able to turn my computer on, boot up and log in, with no usbhd mounted. I want to be able to manualy mount and unmount with command.

Am I too far out in left field here?

Also, I've been reading other post, and have seen other 10.0 OE users's fstab that is not using supermount. Magic mount or something? Does it work better, and how do I get it if it does?

What is this ?

none /mnt/zip supermount dev=/dev/scsi/host2/bus0/target0/lun0/part4,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,kudzu,codepage=850 0 0

from your present settings it should actually be static ?? i.e. working as you want!