lm_sensors and GA7VAXP mobo

mikeoneil

Hi,

I tried to install lm_sensors on a new machine with a Gigabyte GA-7VAXP motherboard without success. I've looked at all the help/readme files I could find. All i get when I type 'sensors' is no sensors found. :cry:

After runing sensors-detect eventually I'm told to:

Copy prog/init/lm_sensors.init to /etc/rc.d/init.d/lm_sensors for initialization at boot time.

I'm probably being very dumb, but I can't find prog/init/lm_sensors.init ??

I was wondering if anyone has this motherboard and lm_sensors working (version 2.6.4-5.1 from Mandrake update)? What type of sensor chip does this board use, I can't find the info anywhere.

Thanks,

Mike

PS Mandrake 9.0

Hi. I have a GA 71XE4. This a board completely different than you but here is how you should tackle your problem.

According to this website --> http://mbm.livewiredev.com/ , your motherboard have the following sensors/chips.

Board................SensorChip..........................CaseSensor.............

.CPUSensor

GA7VAXP........SIS950/ITE8705F.........SIS950/ITE8705F 1.........LM90 [remote]

Now, according to this website --> http://secure.netroedge.com/~lm78/supported.html , you have to load the following modules to be able to talk with your sensors/chips

MANUFACTURER_____CHIP_____DRIVER

SiS__________________ 950_______it87

ITE_____________IT8705,IT8712____it87

However, from there --> http://www2.lm-sensors.nu/~lm78/newdrivers.html , LM90 seems not to be supported.

MUFACTURER__CHIP__Recognized by sensors-detect?__DRIVER___STATUS/COMENTS

National Semi___LM90___________ no______________ not planned___Compatible with ADM1031 and AX6657/8

So that doesn't sounds good ... You could try to modprobe it87 and run 'sensors' to see what's going on.

Could you post the content of /etc/sysconfig/lm_sensors? When you type 'lsmod', do you see i2c-proc or i2c-dev or i2c-core or anything interesting? Also, you should run the service 'sensors' at boot. You can turn it on (if it is not already) in MCC->System->Services.

Hope this help a bit

MottS

Hi Moots,

Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed reply.

I think I now have it working as far as I can. I ran sensors-detect again. Previously I said no to an ISA bus scan (I didn't think I had an ISA bus!). This time I said yes and was told to load i2c-isa and it87 (as you said) and lm78 even though I have an lm90.

When I run 'sensors' I get some sensible readings and some not so. I hope the CPU temp of 88degC and +3.3V of 6.58V are not true! I'll check via the bios in a minute.

I guess I have to wait until the lm90 is fully supported if it ever will be unless it's perhaps a matter of calibration in the init file.

Anyway thanks again,

Mike

Feel lucky if you can get something out of the LM78 .. because this driver isn't supposed to be able to talk with the LM90 chip .. lol.

I get weird readings too. Look at mine:

[gd@localhost gd]$ sensors

w83782d-i2c-0-2d

Adapter: SMBus AMD756 adapter at 50e0

Algorithm: Non-I2C SMBus adapter

VCore 1:  +1.74 V  (min =  +1.74 V, max =  +1.93 V)      ALARM

VCore 2:  +2.48 V  (min =  +1.74 V, max =  +1.93 V)

+3.3V:    +3.15 V  (min =  +3.13 V, max =  +3.45 V)

+5V:      +4.86 V  (min =  +4.72 V, max =  +5.24 V)

+12V:    +12.27 V  (min = +10.79 V, max = +13.19 V)

-12V:    -12.03 V  (min = -13.21 V, max = -10.90 V)

-5V:      -5.07 V  (min =  -5.26 V, max =  -4.76 V)

V5SB:      +4.97 V  (min =  +4.72 V, max =  +5.24 V)

VBat:      +3.12 V  (min =  +2.40 V, max =  +3.60 V)

fan1:        0 RPM  (min = 3000 RPM, div = 2)

fan2:    16463 RPM  (min = 3000 RPM, div = 2)

fan3:        0 RPM  (min =  750 RPM, div = 8 )

temp1:      +36°C  (limit =  +60°C)                      sensor = thermistor

temp2:    +55.5°C  (limit =  +60°C, hysteresis =  +50°C) sensor = thermistor  ALARM

temp3:    +209.5°C  (limit =  +60°C, hysteresis =  +50°C) sensor = PII/Celeron diode

vid:      +1.850 V

alarms:

beep_enable:

Sound alarm disabled

As you can see, the case temp is 36 and the cpu temp is 55.5 according to the driver. But if I go in my BIOS I'll have 36-37 for the case (which is OK) but I'll get 46-47 for the CPU (which is 10 degrees off!). I don't know what is 209.5 tho .. lol

I'm using GKRELLM to output the results and you can multiply the value given by the drivers by a constant. So I put 0.85 for 'temp2' so that I get an output of about 46-47, like in the BIOS, so I'm happy with that. You should install it. 'urpmi gkrellm' or search for gkrellm in RPMDRAKE.

And yes.. everyone has an ISA but even though you don't have ISA slots .. lol

MOttS

This is what I had to do. Just run the 'sensors-detect' script and reboot.. voila!

That's fun when it's so easy ;-)

The problem is that not all the chips are supported or detected by the script. This is why we sometimes have to check what is supported and not and then load the required modules accordingly.

MottS