Waxed partitions

SoulSe

I think I'm on the right track, but since there are so many clever f**kers on this board, I thought I'd collect some opinions (this is your cue to show off).

I have one 10GB and one 40GB HDD. I want to optimise my partitions to a silly degree of effectiveness.

Obviously I would use the 10GB for all my system stuff and a swap partition. 40GB with a /media partition for all my oggs, pics & videos and a /home partition. I know, it sounds really simple - so lets complicate it. How would you partition these two drives and how large would you make the partitions?

Let's see. One 10 gig drive and another 40 gig drive, eh?!?

10 gig drive:

9 gigs - /

1 gig - /swap (this would depend on how much ram you have)

40 gig drive:

10 gigs - /home

5 gigs - /var or /www - for websites and such

5 gigs - /usr

10 gigs - /media

+ 10 gigs left blank

The 10 gigs left blank would be for future developments, unless you really need the space. It is easier to mount a new partition then to resize (shrink) existing ones. This would be left blank for such things as an NFS partition, a Samba partition, an FAT32 partition, etc.

(As I think about this more, this setup may change)

First, I'd only use a journaled filesystem, even for /. At home, I use ReiserFS and I'm happy with that.

----------

I'd put swap as first partition of the 10GB drive, and / as the second (and last) partition of this drive. If it is a server, then / can be split into /var, /tmp, and /.

On the big disk, I'd only put one partition: /local

with those symbolic links on first drive:

/home -> /local/home

/usr/local -> /local/local/usr

/opt -> /local/local/opt

You can add whatever you want to /local, eg: /local/shared-docs, /local/uploads, /local/downloads...

Yves.