auto redial in mandrake internet??

brucedjones

well ive been usin mandrake for a whiel but one thing thats starting to annoy me as the fact that when i get disconnected (which invariably happens once every 4 hours) i dont get notified, whats more, most of my programs act as though they are still connected until i try to do something like click on a link. so i started to use KPPP to connect to the net as it automatically redials and tells me if it gets disconnected. but als no more, it seems i cannot get KPPP to share the internet connection as i need it to, so i have to go back to useing the regular mandrake connection thing, is there any way to get notification of when it disconnects, otherthan trying to do something for 10 mins before realising, and better still, any way of getting it to automatically redial so my download of mandrake 10 will carry on. im useing 9.2 btw

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

I don't have a dialup connection ... but I know that there is an option for ppp-connections called "persist". This means (as far as I knw) that when the connection gets termintaed, it will reconnect. You can add it to your /etc/ppp/options-file. I think it shoulk also be added to the /etc/ppp/peers/<a file ..with me it's called adsl>)file. I'm not quite sure about this, but it can maybe help. To clarify ... (I hope these files exists and are used) ..add a line with word persist to both files.

However, you're problem can also maybe solved by sending an icmp signal ..or something like that every 3 hours (depending on the time it takes you to get disconnected) to your ISP.

Edited by Michel

well..by share i mean share the internet connection i have with my local network (1 mac) but ive tried loads of different scripts for KPPP to run and it isnt haveing any of it, so ill take a look at wvdial and this persist command, cheers