Won't Initialize USR Modem

Guest enckwanzer

Guest enckwanzer

I hate to take up space here, but I just can't figure this out on my own. I'm a total noob when it comes to Linux. I've installed a few different distros (SuSE, RH 7.3 & 8, finally Mandrake 9) and love almost everything about Mandrake. The only thing is that it won't recognize my USR (5610 -- all hardware, not win-) modem -- a modem that RH 7.3 and 8 had no problem recognizing.

I've tried everything I can think of, including moving the modem to a different PCI slot and nothing's worked. The best I can figure out (using wvdialdonfig) is that the modem is set on ttyS4, but Kppp only goes up to ttyS3.

I'm not running any other kind of network device.

Anyone else have this problem or know how to fix it? To be honest, this is the one thing keeping me from using Linux more, possibly even close to full time. If I can get this working, I think I'll be able to stay away from my M$ partitions for a while :)

Thanks for considering the help!

--Darrel

try setting ttyS4 in linuxconf. I know the 5610B works in 9.0 because I had it. I burned it up like an idiot :shock: I didn't use kppp though, I use my own scripts, and wvdial as a backup, only because wvdial was already set up and installed from my current modem. With wvdial you can specify /dev/ttyS4, and be done with it. Or, make your own scripts.

http://axion.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html

I could email you the one's I used.

Guest enckwanzer

Thanks for the reply! I'm a bit confused, however. What do you mean by "try setting ttyS4 in linuxconf"? Also, is there any way I can set the modem to work off </dev/modem> by setting it (/dev/modem) as an alias or link to ttyS4? I only ask because a graphical interface is the only way I'll ever be able to get my spouse to use Linux.

The rest of the setup went so well; I don't know why it's giving me so much grief with this.

Thanks again.

--Darrel

Guest enckwanzer

Thanks for the tip! For some reason, I couldn't get

ln -s /dev/modem /dev/ttyS4
to work. But...

After loging in as root and deleting the /dev/modem file, I was able to get the command to work by reversing the files:

ln -s /dev/ttyS4 /dev/modem

I don't understand it, I just know that it's now working just fine. Of course, that didn't stop my spouse from freaking out a little when she went to the computer and XP wasn't on the desktop :D

Thanks again for all the help.

Thanks for the tip! For some reason, I couldn't get ln -s /dev/modem /dev/ttyS4 to work
been a while since I've had to do it. So I googled and that's what I found a lot of :? Glad you got it!

that didn't stop my spouse from freaking out a little when she went to the computer and XP wasn't on the desktop
My wife read this just now and says I'm such a wonderful husband..(because I let her use win98). I told her, one day it may happen to her...LOL :P

Guest enckwanzer

I don't know why this keeps giving me so much trouble, but...

Everytime I restart the computer, it undoes everything I do (with respect to the modem). To fix it, I have to log in as root, delete /dev/modem and re-establish the link; but when I restart the computer, it resets again (/dev/modem resets itself to link to dev/ttyS3, which is nothing).

Do you know how I can fix this aspect of the problem?

Thanks for continuing to help out a noob :)