Bind DNS named Server really odd problem

Guest NadBlaster

Guest NadBlaster

I have been fighting this problem for a week. I installed M9.0 as a DNS/Web server.

The web server and FTP works fine. DNS won't respond but It is running as verified by ps -ef | grep named, and it can be seen on port 53 by WhatsUp network status monitor. It has carefully crafted /etc/named.conf which references three public domain aliases each with their own files in /var/named. They are named.data, named1.data and named2.data.

I have read the DNS howto and man named.conf. I run DNS on an AIX box but I can't find an error anywhere. The init log shows named started and listening on 53. It looks like named has not started a log of it's own. As I said, the web server and FTP works fine.

I thought it might be a security issue but I did not install the Firewall, the installed security is standard and all of the files are owned by named/named. It also won't update the secondary DNS server. It goes thru a firewall from a private IP range but it is replacing an existing and working NT4 DNS box with the same IP address and machine name.

It just sits there working/listening/not responding. I realize that every dot matters in these files but I have been over it many times. I always reboot after a change even though a stop/start would probably be fine.

Security issue maybe?

Can anyone help me?

Thanks

Rudy

when I build a DNS server I constantly, from another computer on the network do a "dig @192.168.1.1 mandrakeusers.org"

if there is no access to the dns server (its not running or a firewall is blocking it) then it will return .. no DNS server found

you can also do this from the DNS machine

dig @localhost mandrakeusers.org

if it returns anything (not an error of course) then its working fine, and could be a network/security issue

Guest NadBlaster

Thats great advice. I normally use symplification to isolate problems in other areas. I reloaded M9 again just to make sure that if I did nothing, would the service respond if started. It didn't. I had an entire college down for over 5 days trying to get the thing going. This morning I blew the drive and loaded RH8 and used it's GUI NameServer feature and got it back up. I would have rather found out the problem on M9 because I like it better otherwise. I took your advice and started small and tested as I went. Thanks for the response.

Rudy

Guest NadBlaster

PS, I did discover that the RH8 GUI woould not take serial numbers larger than 10. Mine had been 11 in the M9 attempts. Guess that could have done it. :wink:

Rudy

one thing I have noticed with MDK and Bind, is Mandrake have an odd variable $ORIGIN ... my entries wouldn't work with these in, and the server work fine without them ..... can't figure out why MDK would put them there ???