Running gnome2 within Enlightenment

Guest SDMF

I would like to run gnome2 within Enlightenment, but there are a couple of stumbling blocks.

1) I don't know enough of what to do with .xinitrc

2) I would like to be able to run it without the gnome2 menu on the top (is this possible?)

3) I would like to disable gnome's background and use Enlightenment's

So far web searches on how to do this have been fruitless. Anyone know how to do this?

Then I guess the question is, what do you want gnome for? The panel, just not at the top?

1) I don't know enough of what to do with .xinitrc
basically to just call the parts of gnome you want, but we need to know what that is. I use fluxbox and instead of messing with xset, xmodmap, and others I just load

gnome-settings-daemon &

in .xinitrc to use gnome2's keyboard and mouse properties (don't know what else it does). This also starts esd for me, but E should do it for you.

2) I would like to be able to run it without the gnome2 menu on the top (is this possible?)
Assuming E allows it, and it should, yes. From gnome, first create the panel/menu were you want it and delete the top. It's the only way in gnome2. You can also get the panel by running gnome-panel from a terminal in E and when done, run gnome-session-save. Then in .xinitrc put;

gnome-panel &

3) I would like to disable gnome's background and use Enlightenment's
This would only be a problem if you are starting E over gnome2. You need to start E and run what you want from gnome2 in .xinitrc. To startx with gnome2 and then run E would be much much more difficult. You can disable gnome2's bkgrd properties with gconf-editor>desktop>gnome>background and uncheck "draw background".

Well, I just talked to a friend of mine that is using Enlightenment, but he is running Gnome 1, and just has Enlightenment as the window manager. The Gnome Control Center, however, is much different in Gnome 2, and I can't seem to find where I would make Enlightenment the window manager. Is this even possible in Gnome 2? If not through a gui, is there some config file that I can set this in?

Hmm..

[bvc9@localhost bvc9]$ gnome-wm

Window manager warning: Failed to a open connection to a session manager, so window positions will not be saved: SESSION_MANAGER environment variable not defined

Window manager warning: Screen 0 on display ":0.0" already has a window manager

[bvc9@localhost bvc9]$ gnome-session-properties

** (gnome-session-properties:2743): CRITICAL **: file gsm-protocol.c: line 636 (gsm_protocol_new): assertion `GNOME_CLIENT_CONNECTED (gnome_client)' failed

** (gnome-session-properties:2743): WARNING **: Could not connect to gnome-session.

[bvc9@localhost bvc9]$ gnome-session           

SESSION_MANAGER=local/localhost.localdomain:/tmp/.ICE-unix/2744

[bvc9@localhost bvc9]$ gnome-wm

Window manager warning: Failed to a open connection to a session manager, so window positions will not be saved: SESSION_MANAGER environment variable not defined

[bvc9@localhost bvc9]$ gnome-session-properties

** (gnome-session-properties:2796): CRITICAL **: file gsm-protocol.c: line 636 (gsm_protocol_new): assertion `GNOME_CLIENT_CONNECTED (gnome_client)' failed

** (gnome-session-properties:2796): WARNING **: Could not connect to gnome-session.

[bvc9@localhost bvc9]$

BUT, you could try to modify

gconf-editor>desktop>gnome>applications>window_manager

to read

/usr/bin/enlightenment

take a look in /etc/gconf

I looked there, and I don't see /usr/bin/metacity anywhere in /etc/gconf or the related subdirectories, as it appears in gconf-editor. If I change this, and it doesn't work, is this gonna $#@& up my window manager, and make me unable to go back in and change it back to metacity?

Well, I just talked to a friend of mine that is using Enlightenment, but he is running Gnome 1, and just has Enlightenment as the window manager.
Are you sure he doesn't mean that he starts X with E and uses gnome apps? I've never heard of this, though I don't doubt the possibility. If he can tell you how, maybe we can figure out how to apply this to gnome2.

Here's the problem I have with what you're suggesting. When you say window mgr, that means 2 things in general linux terms. Some use it to define sawfish and metacity for the gnome desktop, while others would say fluxbox, enlightenment, icewm and so on are window mgrs. Gnome is a desktop, while fluxbox is a wm because it doesn't have all the fritz and frills and X config utilities. E has a lot but even it's considered a wm, though theyre working on E17, a full blown desktop. I don't see how one could detach the E wm, window borders, ect... from E's X config's to allow it to run with the gnome desktop. Unless you're a programer/guru.

In gnome2, to change from metacity to sawfish

killall metacity ; sleep 1 ; sawfish &

try it with enlightenment

killall metacity ; sleep 1 ; enlightenment &

if it works

gnome-session-save

Well, when I selected E or any other wm, from gnomecc (gnome-1.4), which is now gnome-control-center (gnome2), E or the wm would start, which is what is suppose to happen. You can switch between wm's, but that doesn't keep the gnome desktop up, except with sawfish, and metacity, who only draw the window borders and a few related functions.

Yeah, I tried the suggestions on the other page, and E 16.5 just doesn't seem to work that well with gnome2. It looks fine until I open a nautilus session Then the gnome desktop goes in its own desktop on top of the root desktop, but comes out in front of any applications I have running, including the panel.

Oh well, I'm gonna experiment with a couple other distros and earlier versions of gnome on a spare computer of mine, and see if I can find a configuration that I like.

until I open a nautilus session
Do you have nautilus drawing the desktop? Try

nautilus --no-desktop --sm-disable --oaf-private

nautilus --no-desktop (starts nautilus just fine in fluxbox)

and possibly

--sm-client-id=ID (which means, "Specify session management ID")

See

nautilus --help

Question: I thought about this off and on today, and I can't see the reason for attempting this. If you want E for the wm properties, and background properties, what do you want gnome to do? What's left? A couple of mime settings, mouse and keyboard settings, gnome-panel, and a few other thing but this can all be accomplished as I said b4. By starting X with E and putting some gnome-? in .xinitrc. You're still going to be using the gnomelibs and esd and so on, so if you want to make a change..oh..say to your fonts for gtk, you just call up gnome-font-properties from your menu, then run gnome-session-save. This is what I do in fluxbox, and it works. I just haven't seen anyone (in the few threads) mention the benefit to running E over gnome.

• 3 weeks later...

For gnome2, the answer is NO.

http://www.linuxandmain.com/modules.php?na...article&sid=141

An interview with The Rasterman

LaM: Will e still play nicely with the new GNOME? Can it readily be set up > as the window manager in a GNOME 2 system?

R: Simple answer: no :)

Other (controversial)-scroll to-July 23, 2002 update

http://www.rasterman.com/pages/news.html