Upgrading from Mandrake 9.0 RC1 to Mandrake 9.0 Final

DragonMage

Ok, I am about to come to my friend's house where I installed RC1 and make it up to date with 9.0 Final and the patches (and texstar and plf and.. well.. you know). Now I don't want to screw up a perfectly good working computer that he has (especially after an hour I spent making his Radeon 7500 working). So my question is, how hard is it and how long does it take? Note that I am saying upgrade not clean install. So I probably just put the newest mandrake CDs and choose expert then upgrade. Is it better to upgrade or upgrade packages only?

Anyway, thanks in advance.

I know your saying upgrade not clean install, but from my experience ( i d-load every beta rc, new kernels, etc ) the best bet, unless your really sure what your doing, and what you want to achieve, is to do a clean install in expert mode and format all but your /home partition. Up grade and upgrade packages have both been known to cause problems, (though not always )

The last install I did was 9rc1 , im now running 9.01 all upgraded from cooker, but ive learned from mistakes what to risk d-loading and what not too. For your friends computer, take the safest route, clean install, but don't format /home partition. ( unless of course, there's nothing worth saving )

I definitely second anon. Do a clean install of everything but your home directory. This is probably the safest route to take.

Wipe all partitions except for home and do a clean install. This will ensure that there are no strange dependency issues that need to be dealt with. When you upgrade a single package you never know what it may break. I just recently upgraded glibc to 2.3 and I can't run OpenOffice.org anymore.

If you friend simply wants a working computer that they are not going to play with, then definitely install instead of upgrade.

Well.. thanks for your advice. I think I am going to ask my friend first what kind of software he installed other than the ones I installed for him before making that judgment. If he installed very little or salvagable, I think I am going to clean install instead.

Update:

Did it last night.. just do a regular update.. The only major problem is trying to activate his radeon 7500 again. (around 1 hours). A couple of minor niggles like pressing yes yes yes yes to 82 texstar packages (forgot to install his gpg signature), installing microsoft fonts, adding a mandrake ftp site to urpmi database (so I can do without installation cds) and bugging him to give me his root password. But it seems to run very very smooth after 5 hours of playing around.

Yup.. I just love mandrake :)