Using a the Mandrake backup system

Sherpa

Now that i have everything on my computer just the way i like it is there a way i can do a backup of it? I tried using Norton Ghost 2004 before and it did not work ( at least i know that it messed up the bootloader, and i never tried using the rescue disk to reinstall it) but i have seen this mandrake backup center and i was wondering if i could do an image on my drive like i do in Ghost and back it up to a hardrive?

does anyone know (or have they had experience with) the "dump" command? i was reading in my Red Hat Linux 9 Bible about backing up a linux system and it said that the dump command is an intrinsic part of linux that dates back to UNIX. so i have a whole section on all the options on how to use it, and where to download it from if i dont have it. but i was just wondering if anyone had any experience....

I don't think Mandrake Backup works like a Ghost command. More like a "copy everything except a few directories (like /proc for example) to a directory, make a tarball out of it, split it to a nice 650 mb chunks and then burn it to cd" kind of thing.. definitely different from Ghost or Acronis True Image which actually image partitions, instead of files.

ya i know, i used ghost with windows all the time, it is great, but lasttime i tried to image the hardrive, everything worked fine in the imaging process, but then when i tried to do a restore, lilo did not come up when my comp tried to boot, it just said:

L 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 ................................................................................
............................ 99 99 99 99 99

just the L and then a ton of 99s at that point i reinstalled mandrake, i never thought to use the restore cd to fix the boot loader, but i don know if that would have worked...

It should, I use Acronis True Image to backup my Mandrake partitions all the time before trying on crazy things. In fact, Mandrake 9.2 rescue mode works well for Mandrake 9.1 (since I don't have any more Mandrake 9.1 iso). Note this trick only work on Mandrake, not other distro. If you want to restore lilo in another distro, you need to use a live cd ala knoppix, mount the primary drive with a -o dev option, chroot to the primary drive, then rerun lilo, all those manually.