New to Mandrake 10 - 3 hardware issues

Guest krazy

Guest krazy

Hey, fairly new Linux user here.

I've been playing around with Mandrake 10 Official the past week or so and have run into some issues with unsupported hardware. The general impression I get from reading around various websites is that few hardware vendors can be bothered updating their drivers to support kernel 2.6.x. I guess I could downgrade my system to 2.4.x but I really don't want to do that.

My troublesome hardware:

• ASUS RADEON 9600XT - downloaded the ATI drivers (3.7.6) and they seem to install okay (glxgears giving 1000's of fps) but if I try to play Armagetron or Chromium or a few other 3D games, the system locks up completely and I have to hit the reset button... Interestingly, Tuxracer works fine. :wall:
  • 3COM Gigabit LOM (3C940) - interface eth0 always fails on startup, even using the 'sk98lin' driver (which was installed by default).
  • Winmodem with Intel 536ep chipset - I know the best answer is to go and buy an external "real" :) modem but I'm interested to see if anyone has another answer, or any idea when Intel are going to update their drivers to support the latest kernel.

If anyone can shed any light on the problems above, please help me!

Edited by krazy

Winmodem are problematic. There are a couple of drivers for them, but I never heard of any for that controller chip.

Perhaps you should look around for Linmodems (internal hardware modems). They do exist.

Not all external modems are hardware modems.

3COM Gigabit LOM (3C940) - interface eth0 always fails on startup, even using the 'sk98lin' driver (which was installed by default).

The sk98lin driver is sketchy, even with 2.4.* kernels. Try the official Asus driver for the Gigabit LAN, available on the ww.asus.com website under downloads. Currently, the server is down, but there is an official Asus driver for Linux for it.

I can't get a 2.6 kernel to run on my board, so I don't know if that driver will work on it.

Guest krazy

Thanks for the suggestions.

I've tried Linmodems and Intel but the only driver I've found for that chipset is for 2.4 kernels.

I've decided just to not use the 3COM ethernet since i had an old realtek card that I stuck in, was automatically detected and works perfectly :)

In fact, i can now connect to the net through my LAN, using a windows box with a modem, and i'm now typing this in Konqueror. :)

Any ideas on the graphics card though?