DVD-Ram

ciaopaddy

This is probably something basic, but my dvd-ram disk is being mounted and I can view it as normal, but I can't make any changes to it, i.e. delete old files, etc.

It's mounted on /mnt/cdrom and permissions are that anyone can view and modify content, but I'm guessing that since it's on cdrom, it isn't being properly recognised as being writeable. Any ideas ?

I don't know the terminology, so excuse me for sounding too ignorant, but what I am about to say is true. :D

Linux does not have support for making changes like that to a DVD recordable media. I believe it is called Mt. Rainer format. If you want something removed from a DVD-RAM medium, you actually have to record everything on to it again, minus what you want deleted. I'm not even 100% sure Linux supports writing DVD-RAM, but it does support DVD+/-R(W).

Thanks for the info.

I've managed to get it to delete files, but not folders, by going into the Control Center / Mount Points / Cd/Dvd and under Options/Advanced giving it a umask=0. Strange thing is I can now copy straight over some files and folders, but others fail for no apparent reason.