Problem with Davicom network adapter

Guest garfau

Guest garfau

I just installed Mandrake 9.1 on a new PC.I had no network problems on the old PC using Mandrake but the new PC can not access the network(or the internet using a cable modem).

The new PC has on onboard Davicom adapter.The adapter is listed as "OK" on boot.

It is in the Control Center with the tulip driver,using DHCP,and the state is up.

I noticed,using ifconfig,that I have a bad local IP address.The MAC address is correct but the IP address starts with 169.The IP should start with 192.

On a Windows machine a release and renew of the adapter or a restart of the PC will usually resolve such problems.I have tried "Ipconfig etho down and then up, but that did not work.I also rebooted the PC.

I am guessing that the problem is the Davicom adapter.My next step is to disable the Davicom adapter and install the Netgear adapter from the old PC and see if it works.

Any help would be appreciated :wall:

[moved from Hardware by spinynorman]

If it starts with 169, that means the DHCP client cannot find the DHCP server. Are you connecting this davicom card directly to the cable modem? Maybe the cable modem company requires you to register the mac address of your network card for you to get access. Since the mac address of your network card will be different, there is no dhcp connection, hence no cable modem connection at all. You may need to contact your cable modem company to register your mac address.

BTW, I never heard of a Davicom adaptor before, especially if it is built in. Can you tell me what is the motherboard name so we can find out for sure what chip it is using (the chipset is more important than the brand).

Guest garfau

I have a router in the loop.

I can not ping the router or modem or other PC's on the network.

The adapter works fine if I boot into windows.On my old PC I could get online with a netgear adapter in win98 or Linux simply by rebooting.

I am sure the Cable Modem is okay.I am a cable tech that installs modems for Comcast.

The MAC address is the same for Win & Linux.

The MB is a Soyo SY-845PE.The chipset appears to be an Intel i845pe.

The adapter is a Davicom 9102/a.

Davicom's website has Linux drivers for the adapter.

I am a Linux newbie and do no know if installing the drivers from the davicom web site would resolve the problem.

If I have a 169.xxx.xxx.xxx address when doing cable modem installs on a Windows machine,it usually indicates a local problem with the modem,or nic,or ethernet cable.

As I can access the internet in Windows,I know they are working correctly.

I am thinking the problem is going to be with Mandrake and the davicom adapter.I have read other post in which users are having problem with the davicom adapter.I have also read post were the adapter works with the Mandrake drivers.It is very frustrating.

One other thing I noticed is during boot up the OS takes awhile,longer than other devices, before giving the NIC an "OK".I do not know if this is significant.

Thats for your help.

Guest garfau

Update:

I disabled the onboard Davicom adapter and installed the netgear card from the old PC.

I ran Wizard in the Mandrake control center and the adapter connected.I am now able to get online.

The Davicom adapter is the problem.I would like to get the Davicom working,if can can figure out how to install the linux drivers from the Davicom website,I will try them.

Hmm.. I googled a bit for your network card and I think the problem is that Mandrake Control Center choose the wrong driver for your network card. You said that it is using Tulip, but it should be using dmfe instead. Try rerunning drakconnect but this time, choose your driver manually. Then choose dmfe for your network card driver.

Or if you want to edit it manually, first open a console then type

su

followed by your root password

Then edit your /etc/modules.conf. Search the line that starts with

alias eth0

and edit it so that it becomes

alias eth0 dmfe

save the file, the restart the network by typing this command

service network restart

Hopefully everything starts ok.