Mandrake 9.1 INSTALLATION

Guest SPQR Robin

Guest SPQR Robin

Hello,

After reading how great it was and how easy it is to install with XP, I've recently downloaded the 3 cd's for Mandrake 9.1. Now with my first attempt at installing it, I didn't get far at all. I put disc 1 in, changed boot sequence so it would boot off my cd drive first but it just went straight to my XP. Then I went to bios again and disabled all other devices so that the cd drive would be the only place she'd look but then there was a message saying boot something could not be found please enter boot disc and try again. This disc was 699mb and so was disc 2 and 3.

After all that I downloaded another disc 1 which was 650mb. This time I got one step further. I got an option menu when I booted with disc first asking which device I'd like to boot from. After choosing the disc drive it asked me if I wanted to install or upgrade. I have been through both options but each time it looks as if its loading something and gets to a screen saying the following message.

"you are starting the installation with an alternate booting method please change your disk, and insert the installation disk"

This may be something real easy and I may be very stupid but never the less I'm very new to the linux world so if anyone can assist me with info on what to do I'd really appreciate it. Thanks. :wall:

Hi Robin,

welcome onboard.

- Any reason you downloaded Mandrake 9.1 - we are currently on 10.0 ?

To your questions.

The first three isos you got:

- Make sure that you burned them as isos, as images. It's a special menu, for example in Nero: File --> burn image (or similiar). Looks like you didn't and your cd's are not bootable.

- Did you verify the md5sum of the iso? (if you don't know how: search this board or google for 'md5sum') This is to check, if your download was corrupted.

The second iso you downloaded:

You get this message usually when you are booting with the *2.* Install-CD of Mandrake, which is bootable too, but then keeps asking for the first install cd (you need the first).

You may want to post here the complete names of the iso files you downloaded. And the download location. -

And it would not hurt to post some hardware specs of your computer, so we can take a look if it's a hardware problem.

Edited by anna

Guest SPQR Robin

Hello Anna,

Thanks for replying to my question, I haven't actually used the md5sum thing yet as I don't know how to use it but I will try that.

The reason I am trying 9.1 is because a friend recommended it but I was talking to a few people on the chat site here and they think that 9.1 isn't that great anymore as there is no support for it. Is there anything you think I should try out, I am open for anything as I am only trying to get in to Linux Mandrake so if you think there is something else I should try please let me know.

The specs of my pc are as follows,

1x 30GB hard drive (quantum)

1x 80GB hard drive (seagate)

Processor is 1600+ amd athlon (rather old)

128MB geforce 4 video card

512 mb ddram

asus moboard a7a something (sorry not specific)

1x dvd player

1x cdrw

So if you can suggest anything I would be very greatful. Thanks again.

If you can wait a week, 10.0OE (Official Edition) will be on the ftp mirrors and you will be able to download it.

For a list of ftp mirrors, head here: http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/ftp.php3 Just click on the button that says "I'm already a member of the Club or plan on registering soon, please send me to the download page "

Right now, you can get 10.0CE from those mirrors; but there is an issue with it and XP that you need to know about before you start. Make sure you get all 3 cd's and you burn them as images (as anna suggested above). When you go to install, boot from CD 2 then when prompted, insert cd 1. This seems to get around the issue with things being messed up.

Anyway, we hope you stick with it. Linux is a wonderful world.

Robin,

I second what LiquidZoo is suggesting. Wait a week, and you'll get the three Mandrake 10.0 Official isos from an ftp mirror. I think Mandrake will do fine on your hardware.

I would not bother to download now the Community Edition.

Take your time and prepare a bit. you may want to read as a start and very good tips:

http://www.mandrake.tips.4.free.fr/

Or the Mandrake site, with more useful informations/documentation:

http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/fdoc.php3

Look at the 9.2 html manuals, they don't differ too much from 10.0, and you'll get a good first impressions about installations, software, basic Linux info's.

Good luck, and come back here :-)

I also say Welcome to The wonderful world of Linux and Mandrake in particular.

I second Both ANNAs and Liquids Zoos comments.

I would add just one more thing about the booting from CD issue. I have the Printed CDset of Mandrake!0 Official Edition and the CD booting problem seems to have been fixed so I expect that the download version will have it fixed as well.

However if you do have a problem then just follow Liquid Zoos advice and away you go.

The problem was no big deal because it did not effect anything else, it just created 30secs of inconvenience..

By the way, ANNA is one very smart lady so if she suggests anything you can be sure she is spot on so follow her advice. Maybe she doesn't think so but if she were to say kneel, I think most of us would.

Cheers. John.

Guest SPQR Robin

Hi Everyone,

I'd just like to say thanks for all of your helpful replies. I've noticed that everyone is asking me why 9.1 and 10 is good so I'm gonna download 10 (seeing as I don't know, I won't know what I'm missing).

I went to the link that LiquidZoo posted but there are like 5 different versions of 10 and I got all confused (sorry newbie thing). The following is the list that confused me.

Mandrakelinux 10.0 Official ISO images for i586 and higher

Mandrakelinux 10.0 Official for i586 and higher

MandrakeMove Download Edition ISO image i586 and higher processors.

Mandrakelinux ISO image for PPC, IA64, Sparc, UltraSparc, Alpha processors.

MandrakeSecurity MNF for i586 and more.

Now I would have downloaded the first option but I wanted to get your advice first so I don't waste my time and download the wrong thing again. Can you please tell me which one I should be looking at getting.

Sorry about the lateness of my reply but I thought this site was meant to send me an email when someone posts me a reply but it hadn't done so in a few days so I didn't check. I'll check everyday from now on to see if anyone has replied.

Once again thanks a lot for your time and help.

Guest SPQR Robin

PS In regards to what you said Aussie John (about Anna) I'm sure as long as there are helpful people like Anna around, people like myself will be more inclined to join the world of Linux. Cheers Anna :thumbs:

PPS LiquidZoo as long as I can get this copy of Mandrake 10 and connect it to the net I'll definitely be sticking with it.

Oh sorry guys one last thing :) I've downloaded Redhat 9 and have looked around a little bit but haven't been able to find decent instructions on how to get it connected to net. Do any of you have any instructions you would be able to give me? I have a dsl service 512/128, netgear modem router (DM602) which has usb and ethernet ports.

SORRY TO BE A PAIN IN THE REAR :redhat:

Robin,

you need the 3 isos:

Mandrakelinux 10.0 Official ISO images for i586 and higher

Check the md5sum, burn them 'as images' :-)

Connect your NIC to your router (using the ethernet port, makes things easier, and let the router serve the IP's dynamically)

Then start your pc with the first cd inserted. Internet should be configured automatically, after the installation.

Tip:

- when it comes to the question which security level you want: stay with 'standard'.

- when you get asked if you want to install the updates during the installation, choose: no (you can do this later)

And now, again, good luck.

(If you want an email notification when someone replies, you need to go to your board settings, and check this option, I think)

And don't listen to Aussie John, ( :juggle: )what he's telling about me. I am a Linux newbie, got help here, and now give back. That's all.

SORRY TO BE A PAIN IN THE REAR 

Not at all but like bvc says ... its easier for people to answer and find stuff we look to answer if you start a new thread in the right area with a meaningful title.

Honest... noone minds.... :D

Welcome to the board btw :D

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SPQR Robin

Hello,

Thanks everyone for your help. I'll start putting posts in other areas from now on :D Thanks heaps Anna for all your help, I hope I can get your help in the other sections as well, I've done what you said and updated my email settings now so I may even catch you online sooner or later.

Thanks all.