I THINK I KILLED KDE 3.2

Sherpa

my computer has been up and running fine and i decided to install the xine player when i did, it asked to uninstall a bunch of things, i stupidly pressed ok for all of them then when i restarted my KDE will not load up, i cant even go to the auto login and select KDE because it it not on the menu, but when i go to remove packeage, i see abunch of stuff under kde environment. Please help me, i dont want to have to uninstall and reinstall again...... Those packages that i had to uninstall had to do with KDE multimedia, or something

EDIT:

now i restarted again after trying to reinstall some things and GNOME is dead, is there a way to GOBACK or use the instalation disk to repair, if not i need to know how to move files to my other harddrive, im in ICEWM now and the nautilis file manager is not loaded or something so i cannot get to a window to cut and paste, i need to know how to move files in text based linux so i can save my files and uninstall and reinstall the wholw thing sob..... sob sob sob........ :furious3::wall:

post-10-1084914589.ibf

well you're in gui, so that's good!

What happens when you try to install

kdebase

or

kdebase-common

?

I would not reinstall or Upgrade, which would be one way to fix it, possibly, but if you're having a dependecy problem, which is what it looks like, the Upgrade is likely to fail.

There's no GoBack.

You can copy files with the cp command. Example (replace with your names/paths):

cp -fR /home/Sherpa/Docs /mnt/bkup

What kind of sources do you have? Just the default cdrom sources? Updates? mirrors? If mirrors and Updates, when is the last time you updated them?

urpmi.update -a

urpmi --auto --auto-select

Edited by bvc

well im not sure what you mean by sources, but i downloaded 3 iso cds from linux iso.org and put them in a fat32 partition of my hardrive and installed from my harddrive, i had everything updated using the mandrake update system, i have tried to update those install those things before, and ill see if i can get a screen shot of what happens but if i remember correctly it said something about "libkdecorations.so.1" or something like that, then after i tried to install those, they disappeared from the add menu, i also remember something similar to the first picture happen..... thank you for responding so quickly!!!! :thumbs:

another option is to rip out kde and reinstall kde. This worked years ago....but I ain't testing it to see if it still does.....but you can.

rpm -e --force --nodeps | grep kde

then;

urpmi kdebase

...but you didn't hear it from me :unsure:

Edited by bvc

[root@localhost root]# urpmf libkdecorations.so.1
libkdebase4:/usr/lib/libkdecorations.so.1
libkdebase4:/usr/lib/libkdecorations.so.1.0.0
[root@localhost root]# rpm -q --whatrequires libkdebase4
kdebase-common-3.2.2-7mdk
libkdebase4-devel-3.2.2-7mdk
kdebase-progs-3.2.2-7mdk
[root@localhost root]# rpm -q --whatrequires kdebase
mdklaunchhelp-9.2-7mdk
kdebase-servicemenu-10.0-7mdk
libkdebase4-nsplugins-3.2.2-7mdk
k3b-0.11.9-2mdk
libkdeaddons1-konqimagegallery-3.2.2-1mdk
kdenlive-0.2.3-6mdk
[root@localhost root]#

Edited by bvc

that sounds like something to my liking.... do i do that from a regular command prompt? or the recovery cd? i wanted to uninstall it from the gui but last time i did that i ended up erasing rpmdrake and drakeconfig... and that was not good at all, but is there a way to get the nautalis file server runing in ICEWM?

kdebase-common-3.2.2-7mdk

libkdebase4-devel-3.2.2-7mdk

kdebase-progs-3.2.2-7mdk

[root@localhost root]#

o yes i recognise these files, i went to an rpm search and downloaded and installed libkdecorations.so.1

EDIT:

yes yes yes all of those files... i recognise all of them, i just wish i knew what i deleted....

ok i was installing XINE player, and there was a conflict with an already installd plugin, and i uninstalled the plug in and it had a ton of things tied to it like KDE artwork package or something like that

Edited by Sherpa

you can do it in icewm. Open a terminal>su to root>

rpm -e --force --nodeps | grep kde

then;

urpmi kdebase

which nautilus

or

rpm -q nautilus

will tell you if it is installed. If it is, run

nautilus

from a terminal to find out why it won't start.

/dinner time ;) ...be back

Edited by bvc