No sound in UFO: Alien invasion :(

lars_eivind

I have installed the UFO-package from one of the pre-configured mirrors i Mandrakelinux 10.0 Official (installed from FTP), and the UFO-data-package from a plf-mirror. The game runs fine, but I can't seem to get any sound! Does anybody know the reason (and hopefully a cure) for this?

(The sound works fine in KDE and other games.)

Mandrake 10.0 OE, if he's using kernel 2.6, defaults to alsa. since he's in KDE, it's also going through arts...

lars: have you checked to see if the game has any sort of sound configuration?

I am using the 2.6.3-9 kernel from Mandrake. I have two soundcards, but all other games and apps use the SBLive-card. I am not sure whether I use alsa or not, but the Control Center says "Module: ‎snd-emu10k1". I couldn't find any sound settings in UFO, just volume adjustment. :(

I'd suggest trying to run the game in a wm that doesn't try to pipe everything through a seperate sound service - such as fluxbox (or twm or.....)

Your games may actually perform better when you're using a lighter wm.

I suppose it wouldn't hurt trying a lighter wm :)

And I also suppose findind RPMs with Fluxbox or something else will also be easy.

However, how do I change wm, or actually start a specific wm?

I now start my computer into runlevel 3 and start KDE with the command "startx".