Mandrake 10 OE - Which kernel should I use?

kaba_desu

I'm using the stock 2.6 kernel that comes with M10, I just want to know what I would be missing out on if I used the 2.4 kernel instead?

Would the 2.4 kernel be more stable for my nforce2 board?

I have read that the reason I can't install nvidia's nforce drivers is because it wasn't really written for 2.6 kernels.

I've also read in this forum that people using nforce boards must install the latest nforce drivers to stop freezing... (other than noapic nolapic)

I am a mandrake newbie... I've been using redhat for ages and it seems that I have to re-learn a lot of what I know.

Any advice about the kernel stuff would be cool.

Edited by kaba_desu

I run 2.6 on my Shuttle (nForce2), and it finally runs smooth... didn't with 2.4.

All hardware was detected "out of the box". Nvidia drivers was quite easy to install. The newest one is compatible with 2.6, just download it from: http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display...2_1.0-5336.html

I run 2.6 on my Shuttle (nForce2), and it finally runs smooth... didn't with 2.4.

All hardware was detected "out of the box". Nvidia drivers was quite easy to install. The newest one is compatible with 2.6, just download it from: http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display...2_1.0-5336.html

Me too....

The 2.6 uses the forcdedeth drivers (opensource)

goes to prove opensource is more stable and better debugged than commericial 'professionally' written drivers

Okay, so I've had a search around and I can't find any how-to's for forcedeth.

Do you run forcedeth and then run the nforce drivers?

I'm having major stability issues and I really need some help to fix it. It just seems to lock up randomly.

Can you suggest the correct forcedeth for 2.6.3-7mdk?

For your freezing try looking in your bios for Cpu Disconnect Function and set it to disable. On my Abit Nf7-s it's under the Advanced Chipset Features. Most of the Linux distro's I've tried don't like it enabled..exact opposite with Win Xp pro machine locks up if I forget to re-enable when I reboot from Mandrake.

Ack - In the end I just want a stable install which has no really major problems. I think I'll just go back to the 2.4 kernel and see if I have the same sort of trouble. If I don't then I'll stick with it.

My only concern is that I'll be missing out on something if I go back... but then I suppose having an unstable computer is missing out on something.

My last question is:

If I do go back to 2.4 and download updates... will that update my kernel back to 2.6? Or will it install updates for my kernel? The later being the prefered answer.

Sorry ..busy week...

no for me the forcedeth ws installed by default.

if you havent tried installing the nforce try a

lsmod

(as root)

For me the 2.6 kernel in 10 is way better than the 2.4 in 9.2.

My PC is like the one in TopDogs avatar :D and it seems much better in MDK10. (2.6)

The only reason I'm try to add the nforce drivers is because the stability issues I'm experiencing. I'm not worried about ethernet or anything like that. I just want to be able use my computer without having a complete meltdown.

Did you do anything particularly special with your bios/lilo/other settings to get it stable?

In the end it could be that my motherboard doesn't like the newer kernel. I just really need some help.

As for "Sorry ..busy week..." , I know how you feel. Don't worry too much about quick answers I don't have that much time to spend on my computer at the moment. It's really quite frustrating.

Edited by kaba_desu

Going back to the 2.4 kernel !

It never worked for me .(.unless i compiled my own) and the 2.6 does.

However lots of people had no problems with the 2.4 and nforce...#

I suspect we are the inverse group.... those without probs with 2.4/9.x are fine with 2.6/10.0 and those that didnt have probs are notw having them.

One thing to try (if poss) is some live distro's like knoppix.

See if the latest 2.6 knoppix works and is stable... if so then Mandrake CAN be made to work with 2.6 for you...its a matter of time/effort.

I took a 'Mandy break' during 9.2 ..it just never worked witrh my HW unless I recompiled everything all the time (which Id done for 9.1) .

when I tried 10 it was a pleasant surprise!

2.6 is better but its not the end of the world to wait till 10.1 perhaps ??

Okay... so I've just read something on another forum about formating... could all my stability problems be coming from doing a "quick" format rather than a long format? Does Mandrake 10 install give you the option to do a long install?

Hmmm... It might be this. I remember last year that every time I installed rh9 the computer would feel completely different. I would have a whole bunch of new problems while the old problems fixed themselves.

Just a hunch?

This is just so frustrating. Perhaps something hasn't been detected right.. grr. I don't know. I wish I was sitting at my computer messing around with it... but instead I am sitting in front of a rock solid customised rh7.3 computer that laughs at me everytime I type uptime. [10:54pm up 106 days, 9:28, 19 users, load average: 0.46, 0.63, 0.71]

Edited by kaba_desu