Problems when trying to install M 10 Community

Guest the_1ne

Guest the_1ne

Hy everyone. First, please exscuse my english ...

4 weeks ago I got the 4 cd's from some mirror.

I burned the iso files, everithing worked fine, but there are some bugs, I thing, with Mandrake 10.

1. The first problem is that when I insert the first disc (Cd 1) the installer doesn't start !!! Don't know why !!!

2. I succeded to load the installer by making a boot disk with the image from cd ! (I have to specify that I met this problem just at the versions 10 and 9.2 of Mandrake)

3. It has problems with the Extended File System.

Let me describe you the things that disturbed me:

I have an AMD 2500+ with 512 DDR, HDD 80 GB.... etc

My HDD has 4 partitions :

PRIMARY

a. hda1: >>> (/mnt/Windows >>> vfat) > 10 GB

b. hda2: >>> (/) > 3 GB

c. hda3: >>> (/home) > 3 GB

d. hda4: >>> (swap) 1 GB

EXTENDED

e. hda5: >>> (/mnt/Works >>> vfat) 15 GB

f. hda6: >>> (/mnt/media >>> vfat) 46 GB

The instaler sais that he will format only the partitions hda2 & hda3. After finishing the instalation, this doesn't boot any OS. Why ??? He modified the partition tables so nothing can recognize them excepting the Mandrake Installer !!! The installer formated the entire extended filesystem!

The same problem i met when I installed Mandrake 9.2... but why? What did I set up wrong to make this happening ? 'cause i don't want to loose my information everytime when I'll install versions of Mandrake bigger than 9.1 vers.???

Please help me with this problem ! :wall:

First things first.

The installer bug was with 10CE. The installation could proceed with inserting the second disk, and when prompted, inserting the first disk. Installation would then proceed normally.

Except that with the original release of 10CE, there were around 750MB of updates!!! So, there might very well be bugs, especially in kde. kde was updated 3-4 times.

Which means that it is possible your /home/username/.kde directory might be buggy as well. So, after the update, create a new user. That will create a new.kde folder, and then import your personal settings to get your setup back. The installer is designed to not update /home unless you want to wipe out all your personal settings.

Now, placing your saved stuff under /mnt is a mistake. I would recommend placing it under /home, or even under its own partition name so that it does not get wiped out. /mnt gets rewritten with an update, so you lost your data. Don't shoot the messenger. :P

I hope I understood your situation.

yes, you probably should have mounted your other partitions as

/windows

/works

/media

when asked during the install. You would then find these three partitions under /mnt

Also, you may want to try finding one of our volunteer translaters:

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=9672

Maybe one of our members can help us understand better.

What happens when you try to boot. Any errors or messages ?

Oh, and welcome to our forum.

:D