DVD mount

Guest LinuxExplorer

Guest LinuxExplorer

I was just curious if anyone knew how to remount the DVD correctly. I haven't tried to use it as a DVD player, but after looking into it I don't think mine is recognized correctly. Its an old Creative 5X DVD drive. When MDK9 was first installed I Think it showed up correctly but after the supermount issue its not showing the hardware information in Mandrake Control Center. The drive itself isn't mounted as a DVD either. Its mounted as CDROM2 now. Even under the /dev directory, there isn't a dvd link. Is there any way to revert the settings back?

Guest tarheeltux

I wouldn't worry about there not being a /dev/dvd link. That's easy enough to fix. It's also typical for the drives to actually be mounted at /mnt/cdrom1 or /mnt/cdrom2.

Anyway, what have you tried to mount in the drive? Meaning, have you put a data cd in the drive and tried to access it? What exactly are your errors?

You should also copy and paste your /etc/fstab here. That will help solve any problems you may be having.

Guest LinuxExplorer

The only reason I brought this up is because neither of the media players I've tried will read the DVD drive correctly. I've troubleshot Ogle and Xine. Yes, I already have the DVD CSS files associated and installed for both. For example, when I try to Open Disc from within Ogle, this is what I get:

vm: faild to open/read the DVD

Debug[ogle_ctrl]: child: 11722 exited with 1

Debug[ogle_ctrl]: pid: 11722 exited with status: 1

Debug[ogle_ctrl]: child: 11724 killed

Debug[ogle_ctrl]: pid: 11724 terminated on signal: 2

Debug[ogle_ctrl]: child: 11723 killed

Debug[ogle_ctrl]: pid: 11723 terminated on signal: 2

Debug[ogle_ctrl]: child: 11721 killed

Debug[ogle_ctrl]: pid: 11721 terminated on signal: 2

Debug[ogle_ctrl]: removing shmid: 33292308

Note[ogle_ctrl]: exiting

This is my fstab file contents (I turned supermount back on):

/dev/hdf1 / ext3 defaults 1 1

none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0

/dev/hdf6 /home ext3 defaults 1 2

none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/scd0,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /mnt/cdrom2 supermount dev=/dev/cdrom,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hdf5 swap swap defaults 0 0

Guest tarheeltux

It looks like there is no dvd link. So, go to a console and type "su" then your root password. Then:

cd /dev

ln -sf /dev/cdrom /dev/dvd

The /dev/cdrom should be the device that corresponds to your dvd drive. I couldn't tell for sure by your fstab, but it looks like the /dev/scd0 is the cdrw which I think would make your dvd the /dev/cdrom.

That should create a link to the dvd at /dev/dvd. Since Ogle and Xine look for /dev/dvd this link needs to be there for those apps to work.