How do I configure my video card

NecroScumBag

Hello, All. Well I am using mandrake 9.2 with xfree 3.4.. When I go into harddrake and check my video card. It showing up as a pci and I am unable to get 3d acceleration to work. How do I fix this. My video card is a voodoo 5 5500 agp 64 meg card. Reason why i think it is 3d acceleration is I am unable to get past 1 fps in chromic. It take about 2 minutes for the game to generate the first menu screen. I am unable to make any specific changes or see specfic info in harddrake. There has been number of time people refer other to a file were the video drive setting and memory configuration are. What is the file? And what do I need to do to get this working correctly. This is impacting most the game and any movie/video I try to view. Thanks in advance for your tip and recommendations.

Thanks for responding! What I am looking for is what config files to see why my pc showing my agp as pci as well as 3d support not turned on. I have the currect driver installed. They are the generic drivers for the card from mandrake. These have worked befor with out issue in old versions. But I have noticed xfree and kerneral were the only major update on my end for upgrading to this version. I was very unconfortable on doing a kernel update. Now with all these issues I wish I have. I mean I am a newbie and novie to linux. But every thing I ever tired work! Now I am wishing I did that update. But I have read in past posts about the file which contain the configuration of my video settings like. WHich bus card running on rez and refresh as well as able to manuely config 3d acceleration! Thanks

/etc/X11/XF86Config-4

Look for something like this:

Section "Device"

Identifier "device1"

VendorName "nVidia Corporation"

BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce4 (generic)"

Driver "nvidia"

Option "DPMS"

EndSection

Of course, yours will look different because of different card manufacturer. Before you go mucking about with that file, maybe try as root from a console:

mcc

And then go to Hardware-> Graphical Server and set it up that way. That should make all the changes to /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 for you. After doing this, you'll have to restart X (log out and back in). You do not have to completely reboot.

Edited by Steve Scrimpshire

I was assuming your card was anold 3dfx model. If it has an Nvidia processor, then use the Nvidia installer and edits. If it is an older card, use the first sight Ilisted. The real secret here is to determine the vidoe processor.

Thank you for responding. I will take a look. In this section is were I will locate if the video card is using direct rendering = using hardware. My card is a voodoo 5 550 64 meg. Since I have researching, I been find that there is direct rendering adbility for my card! I found a old driver tar for my card for red hat 6.1. I was woundering since red hat and mdk is close to the same. Could I install that drive for my card and be able to get direct rendering. Also if not I know mdk 8.0 or the one earlier my card was working with direct rendering. Would I be able to install taht version and then update the keneral for the new one for usb support and then still be able to have the benefits direct rendering. Thanks all again for your support. MDK and RED HAT has alway been good to me till now and the new distro advailible. Thanks again!

After reading up I want to make sure I understand this. xfree86 is the program which contact info for x to get gui and xfree is the program which also contains drivers for my video card. After read xfree 4.4 support my voodoo 5 5500 video card and 3d acceleration as well. So if I update my mdk 9.2 with xfree86 4.4 my video card should work with 3d acceration and my video game issue would be resolved. Please let know if I understand this correct.

Yes, if Xfree says it supports your card in 3d, that is what it means. I would use Mandrake rpms to do this. It can be quite an undertaking otherwise. You will need to updtae a lot of stuff, possibly. Be prepared! B)

Fortunately for all of us, the system runs better than the installer! :D Configuring the system after installation is really quite common. (As long as you have a gui!)