Can't empty trash bin...

Nazgulled

I think I deleted something as root in a console, but does that matter? that goes to the trash bin also? I just followed the instructions on the INSTALL file and it said to delete something and 'make install' as root, thats the only thing I did....

I'll test that tomorrow, i'm in windows now and I must go to bed :P

thanks a lot, i'll report back when I try it ;)

I thin I did what you jsut told me not to lol....

my username in mandrake is "nazgulled" so I tried this:

rm -rf /home/nazgulled/.Trash/

it didn't worked so I did this:

rm -rf /home/nazgulled/Desktop/Trash/

and then the trahs folder was gone... I deleted a test file and a folder was created in the destkop saying trash and the command "empty trash bin" was on the right click so I think it's ok... but... the icons are not the same, it's a folder icon and doesn't change when it's full, how can I fix that?

ps.: and just in case I need to use it again how can I delete the contents of the folder using the rm -rf and not the whole folder?

======== EDIT =========

forget it, just rebooted and the icons are back...

but answer the p.s. if you please... thanks for all the help so far :)

Edited by Nazgulled

rm -rf /home/user/.Trash/

just because i feel like explaining, GNOME uses a .Trash directory where as KDE uses the /Desktop/Trash directory. that's why LZ's original instructions weren't quite right ;)

anyways, carry on!

atleast you delete the correct stuff...

someone... longago... who shall remain nameless (cough) made a typo whilst as root and actually did...

rm -Rf /home/me/

cause the autocomplete fooked :( - instead it should have been...

rm -Rf /home/me/junk

.... but heyho... lets just say... they learnt to respect the rm command... even when NOT as root.... now wheres that :dumbass icon?

• 3 years later...

Wow, three and half years later and the problem still exists. I tried the KDE commands below and no go. I have one item in trash that just obsolutely will not be deleted.

This is an example of the type of thing that will drive new Linux users crazy and turn people away. I have stuff in my trash and I can't simply empty liek I canin Windows?

So for now I have no clue what to do, I guess I will keep the item in my trash.

I have stuff in my trash and I can't simply empty liek I canin Windows?
To be fair, I've had this exact same thing happen in Windows on more than one occasion (and, actually, I've never had it happen in Linux). So, it's not just a Linux issue.

Did you make sure you were root when you tried to delete the file?

Wow, three and half years later and the problem still exists........

This is an example of the type of thing that will drive new Linux users crazy and turn people away. I have stuff in my trash and I can't simply empty liek I canin Windows?

If you are suggesting that this was a consistent problem of some kind, you have a rather odd concept of "problem." In the many years that I have used computers, unusual things happen all of the time. A problem in the computer world is something that happens repeatedly, not occasionally. For example, Vista's inability to run is a repeatable issue, making that entire os a problem. (Which is why any IT person with half a brain will not allow their clients to use Vista.) I think that an os that simply does not work is a bigger issue that will drive people away than an odd trash can problem, don't you? :D

At any rate, if the command did not work, it is more likely you did something wrong. 90% of the problems I have experienced were of my own making. So, learn! :thumbs: