LILO Customization

crock

Is there any way I can change my LILO bootloader to boot to 263-7 as the default boot? Right now, at the top of the list, I've got Linux appearing - but it uses the 2.4 kernel series. I'd like to change the way those are ordered.

It appears something like:

Linux

Failsafe

263-7

Windows

Windows2

I'd like it to be something more like this:

263-7

Linux

Failsafe

Windows

Windows2

Edit your /etc/lilo.conf and put them in any order you like. To set the default there is a line near the top that says default="" so you can use the label assigned to the version you want to boot first. After you're done you need to run lilo -v to make sure you don't have any errors.

Well, there are a couple of ways to do it. I'll steer you away from the obvious (log in to X as root) into a couple of the safer options:

Open a console and su to root

Now that we have a root console, we have 2 ways we can edit a file. Both involve text editors, one graphical, one cli.

Graphical

We'll start here, because most people are comfortable using a graphical text editor. Depending on your DE (KDE or Gnome) there are 2 ways to do this:

KDE

In your console type

kwrite /etc/lilo.conf

This will open kwrite as root and allow you to edit the file that way (you can substitute any file, but for the purpose of this thread, we'll stay with lilo.conf)

Gnome

In the same console type

gedit /etc/lilo.conf

Same as above, but it will open the default Gnome text editor

Ok, now for Command Line editing:

CLI

In your console type

vim /etc/lilo.conf

There are other cli text editors, but I prefer vim.

Once the editor is open, press the i key to enter insert mode. Do your editing, then press the Esc key, then :wq (colon, w, q) and press enter (for write, quit)

If you're changing the lilo order, you might want to use one of the graphical methods (unless you're familiar with the copy/paste method used in cli) as it will probably be easier for you to get what you need done.

One word of caution: Back up your original file before you start editing it. That way you can restore it easily.

Guest MrDean

After changing the lilo.conf , u must type this command as a root in console,

/sbin/lilo -v

After this command ur changes will be active,dont forget this detail..