Encrypted containers

MrWhisp

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by encrypted containers (don't do cryptology much) but kgpg is quite good. Its a KDE applet that managers/creates pgp keys for you. It also adds option to KDE/Konqueror menus for encrypting/decrypting files as and when you want.

KGPG is good for encrypting single files. What I want is a tool that creates a virtual encrypted disc which can be mounted. When unmounted it is just a single encrypted file containing all your private files. In this way you can hide the encrypted files from being listed. Otherwise you will see the files, but not read them...

/MrWhisp

Mandrake (at least version 9.1 and 9.2, I haven't tried 10 yet) have the ability to create encrypted loopback filesystem which should be perfect for your needs.

All you have to do is install it by typing

urpmi mountloop

Creating the loopback filesystem is actually easy in this case. Mandrake has the graphical tool called Drakloop in K Menu -> Application -> Other -> Drakloop.

Now mounting and unmounting the loopback filesystem is a bit harder since you need to use command line method. You can read how in /usr/share/doc/mountloop-0.9/ directory (at least.. the 0.9 part is for my case which is Mandrake 9.1).

Enjoy :)

Edited by DragonMage

• 2 weeks later...