MDK 10 - what's in the box?

alexpank

I've been looking longingly at the Mandrakestore site lately, drooling over the sleek lines and daring couture of the various MDK10's, and I've decided that I'm going to get me one, probably the Powerpack. Has anyone here actually bought a copy? From the various discussions, it seems like a lot of people have downloaded it, but on a dial-up connection, this just isn't an option.

Anyway, what I was wanting to know is, what's in the full, $85 job that you don't get when you just get the CDs, and is it worth getting? I mean, $35 dollars is a big difference, especially when you're just a lowly student... :unsure:

I haven't purchased a power pack, but I believe you get 5 cd's and a semi-useful manual. I know the regular box is really just the download edition on official disks! What's on the extra cd's? Stuff, of course! Like Nvidia drivers and other items that cannot be "given" with the regular release.

Wouldn't it be better to buy the Discovery Edition (that is, if the nvidia drivers and 'essential' stuff like that) are included? I bought a PowerPack once (version 9.0 mind you), but it did not offer a lot more then the download edition, nothing much useful anyway... :|

With discovery things like browser plug-ins, 3D drivers (I think), ... are automatically configured for you. To me, that is worth a LOT more then all that demoware in the PowerPack version. Well, sorry if I offend anyone, but that is my experience (that is, if their model hasn't changed yet). Ironically, I would find it more logical if Discovery was more expensive... of course I think PowerPack has servers, development tools and such...

But whatever extra stuff you need for discovery, you can just get off the web.

My point is: when looking for more value PowerPack does not automatically seem the best choice for me, which I think it should attempt to be.

I think Darkelve is correct. The powerpack is for server type setups, whereas the other editions cater toward desktop users. So, if you are building a network, powerpack. Otherwise, the other editions will suffice.

Hmm, you could be right. I was looking at the Mandrake 10 Comparison page, which goes through what's in the Discovery, Powerpack and Powerpack+ editions, and a couple of packages which sorta swung me in favour of the Powerpack were GNOME 2.4 and emacs (I need it for some Japanese stuff I'm doing). There were also a couple of the commercial apps that would be nice, but not essential.

How big would the Gnome and emacs packages be? That's the thing that concerns me... I mean, a few MBs is no trouble, but given that I can only download about 10-12 MBs an hour, anything above maybe 20 MBs is looking pretty doubtful. Maybe it's worth the extra $10 to get the various extra packages without having to spend hours on the internet.

BTW, the price on that comparison page is for the whole thing, with the manual and all, whereas just the disks is around $60 (for Oz, anyway). I couldnt find a price for just the disks of the Disco edition (maybe cos they don't make it that way...).

Umm, what sort of stuff is in that manual? If it's semi-useful to you, Ix, it might be mega-useful to me :o

I haven't seen the manual, but basic means that it explains a normal install without any problems. It might suggest how to make your computer boot from the cd drive. If it explains the install screens and your various options, that would be very useful to a beginner. But, remember that they would like you to join the club, and I'm afraid that means real questions and advanced problems won't be answered. but then, we are here, aren't we! B)

Oh well, if that's all it means, then I'll save my money. I still haven't decided which I'm going to go for -- I'll have to do a detailed comparison of what in the Powerpack that isn't in Discovery, etc., but it makes it easier knowing that I can probably (if I'm lucky) fudge it without the manual ;)

And you can bet your bottom dollar that I'll be back here to ask you guys about something or other before long :woops: