wvdial - problem

Guest tomasz

Hi, I have a rather annoying wvdial problem.

I have managed to install and configure wvdial, but it works only when I am loged in as root.

No reasonable human being would surf the www as root! When thrying to start wvdial as a normal user, the following message appears three times:

cannot open /dev/ttyS1: Device or resource busy

My question is obvious: How do I manage to initiate wvdial as normal user?

Please, gentle linux-folks help, because I don't wanna use kppp when working with blackbox - it takes such a long time to load!! :cry:

[EDIT=THIS LINK IS DEAD ] http://www.club-nihil.net/mub/viewtopic.php?p=37885

Scroll way down and there are links for how to make wvdial for users. I was successful with ML8.1 but not with ML9.0, and I don't know why. Rt now I only use wvdial as a bkup to my own scripts (sometimes they get funky on me) and sudo-wvdial will connect me so I don't have to reboot. Haven't figured out why, but this isn't good either.

If you can't get wvdial to work for users, and you have a little time, try your own scripts; http://axion.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html

• 2 months later...

Run these to make wvdial work for users;

chmod +s /usr/bin/wvdial

chmod +x /usr/sbin/pppd

chmod +s /usr/sbin/pppd

You can also run wvdial in the backkground by adding

$*

to the end. This is if you don't want to see a terminal. I 've got it in my ~/.xinitrc.

wvdial $* &

• 3 weeks later...

This didn't work for me. I get this error:

--> Looks like a welcome message.

--> Starting pppd at Fri Feb 21 01:06:28 2003

--> PPP daemon has died! (exit code = 2)

--> Disconnecting at Fri Feb 21 01:06:28 2003

--> Auto Reconnect will be attempted in 5 seconds

--> pppd error!  Look at files in /var/log for an explanation.

Looking in the logs I see that it can't open the /etc/ppp/peers/wvdial file, so I had to chmod 0755 wvdial in that directory and also chmod +s wvdial

Guest johnKFT

I have been looking for a simple solution to this problem for months - thank you. Only problem is it does not quite work for me. Wvdial connects OK but then the ppd daemon dies with error code=2 and pppd options error. Can anyone help? I am not sure about the /etc/ppp/peers/wvdial file as I have only /etc/ppp/peers/wvdial-pipe and wvdial.rpmsave. Can anyone tell me what I have not done that I should have done?

Guest johnKFT

Back again - solved it. On inspection I saw that the wvdial.rpmsave file was almost identical to the options file, so I renamed wvdial.rpmsave to wvdial and hey presto it worked. Thanks everyone. I can now rid myself of the final bit of KDE (kppp).