evolution

Urza9814

this should explain it all:

[urza9814@localhost urza9814]$ evolution

Could not set mode 0700 on private per-user gnome configuration directory `/home/urza9814/.gnome2_private/': Operation not permitted

[urza9814@localhost urza9814]$

None of those /.[program] folders seem to work. I get erros about them on mozilla and gimp too...any ideas?

Also, I need to know how to get messages from spruce to evolution once this is fixed...

Don't know if this is the right thing to do, but try this via terminal while in /home:

chmod 0700 gnome2_private

I did something similiar when konq wasn't writing to directories on a windows drive correctly, but used 0777 instead.

it worked! awesome! I shall have to try that with mozilla and the gimp...It won't let me save to the /.mozilla and /.[gimp?]...

[edit]

hmmm...they don't appear to exist...that might be a problem... :P

[more edit]

nevermind...it didn't work. apparently evolution just works under root...I can't do that unless I'm under root though...

Edited by Urza9814

Ok, that worked, but now I get massive permission denied errors for the config files, but I think I can figure that out. I have that with all config files for some odd reason. Some are permission denied, some are folders not existing, but I think if I just shift permissions and create the missing folders it'll work...I hope...

aight...I give up...lol...here's what I get in terminal:

[urza9814@localhost urza9814]$ evolution

** (evolution:4338): WARNING **: Wrong permissions for /home/urza9814/tmp/orbit-urza9814

** (evolution:4338): WARNING **: Wrong permissions for /home/urza9814/tmp/orbit-urza9814-28a86888

** (evolution:4338): WARNING **: Wrong permissions for /home/urza9814/tmp/orbit-urza9814-a8e8c8d8

file /home/urza9814/evolution/vfolders.xml contains nothing to upgrade
xml file `/home/urza9814/evolution/shortcuts.xml' already upgraded
evolution-shell-Message: Evolution configuration upgraded to version: 1.4.0

(evolution:4338): e-utils-WARNING **: e_config_listener_set_bool: Adding client to server's list failed, CORBA error: IDL:omg.org/CORBA/COMM_FAILURE:1.0
[urza9814@localhost urza9814]$

And here is the message that pops up from evolution:

An error occurred while loading or saving configuration information for Evolution. Some of your configuration settings may not work properly.

Adding client to server's list failed, CORBA error: IDL:omg.org/CORBA/COMM_FAILURE:1.0
Adding client to server's list failed, CORBA error: IDL:omg.org/CORBA/COMM_FAILURE:1.0

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure if I ever fixed this or not...but I got it again! Any ideas?

Also, it's saying 'welcome to Evoltion' when I should already have an account set up

Edited by Urza9814

no idea if this'll help you, but - try backing up your mail and any other config. Don't do this by copying the entire evolution directory - jsut copy those files and directories. Make sure they have the right permissions on them

delete the evolution directory - and uninstall evolution

Re-install and start it up. Close it and copy back the backed up files into the new evolution folder

Maybe the compeletely fresh start will fix some problems - maybe it won't though! ;)

Didn't work, but I deleted the folders in tmp and that helped...now I'm down to this:

evolution-shell-Message: Evolution configuration upgraded to version: 1.4.0

(evolution:18417): e-utils-WARNING **: e_config_listener_set_bool: Adding client to server's list failed, CORBA error: IDL:omg.org/CORBA/COMM_FAILURE:1.0

I'm mainly worried about that last line...

Not really certain of the answer - but I might be able to point you in the right direction. I suspect that this is to do with some of the related libraries - like bonobo or something like.

See if you can upgrade any of the deps...

And I would go about doing that how...?

edit: nevermind...my mom gave up on Linux...made me set up Outlook Express for her again...

Edited by Urza9814