Little problem (I hope)

nerdzyboy

I wanted to install Mandrake (9) on my computer...

When I started the computer with the first installation disk in it, it froze when looking at the type of partitoin on my hard drive (before the installation began)

I want to know how I could make it work...

By the way my hard drive is a Quantum fireball and he's been formatted over and over again (from fat32 to NTFS to Linux Native)

What is the goal? Linux only? Fat32, and linux?, fat32, ntfs, and linux?

What's the current setup?

Are you using PM or some other partition tool?

Linux can be picky if all it sees/ or sometimes if it sees a ntfs partition. If you're using PM, are you doing ext2, or ext3? Because ext2 can be a major headache.

Did you check the md5sum of the iso's? Even if they were ok, you can still have a bad burn. Reburn the cd's.

If you formatted in ntfs, use windows fdisk to repartition your drive into one fat32 partition. Then, Mandrake will install and setup the linux partitions. Remember, when you partition the drive, you will loose all data.

Even if you did not format ntfs (it sounds like you did) something is majorly wrong with your tables, so I would delete all partitions and reformat.

Is your hd showing up in the bios at boot? fdisk reads the bios for hardware, but if the partition tables are messed up, then it may show no partitions on an existing drive. If the drive does not show up, then w2k should not be booting either. Remember, i'm talking win fdisk, not linux fdisk.

OK, I'm lost on the status of the computer. Could you tell me what the current state is of the computer you are trying to load linux. Is w2k functional? Is it trying to boot linux? Is it scrambling your eggs for breakfast? (well, it might be!)

Ok The computer was running win2k (NTFS partition).

I formated my computer a couple of days ago...

Now, nothing can be done with my hard drive (but it shows in the bios)

There is currently no partitions on the hd (deleted all of them) and I can't make new ones because fdisk tells me that there is no hd...

Also, go to maxtor.com and download the maxblast plus utility. Reinstall with this utility; it will do a lowlevel format to correct the cludged partition table. After that, linux should handle it just fine.