Installing MDL 10.0 as a host in VMWare

sitor

Hello,

I remember a thread, but could not find it back, where someone had the same problem as me at the time that it seemed not possible to get MDL 10.0 running within VMWare.

Just to let anyone interested know that now it is possible. It seemed to have to do with the 2.6 kernel that was not supported. In the latest version of VMWare it is (I'm posting this from MDL 10.0 OE running in VMWare 4.5 on Win2000). The good news is that if you have a license key that works for 4.4, you can download 4.5 for free and the 4.4 license key will work also for 4.5. So no money required! Just when uninstalling 4.4 indicate that you DO NOT want the license key to be removed.

Ciao,

Sitor

Was it or is it only runninig vmware under WinBlows ....

Ive never had a problem with anything except BEOS5 when running vmware under linux....

Personally, (apart from very special circumstances) Id never consider running Linux over windows... you loose 90% of the advantages like security, filesystem etc. but most important it can only be as stable as the HOST OS.

but thats just my unasked for 2c :woops:

Suppose it was indeed only valid for VMWare running on WinBloze.

Personally, (apart from very special circumstances) Id never consider running Linux over windows... you loose 90% of the advantages like security, filesystem etc. but most important it can only be as stable as the HOST OS.

I agree with you. And I am having problems regularly. KDE that gets ****ed up and stuff. The experience of MDL in VMWare on WinBloze is far inferior to the experience of a MDL running straight on a PC. But That is the only way I can run MDL in the Office, so better then nothing (it allows me to test some stuff during my lunch break).

Ciao,

Sitor