add apps to fluxbox startup

sir_max

how do you start flux? With startx from init 3/console? Then yes, you need an .xinitrc. You can just make one, as one is not supplied.

example

#!/bin/bash

#======START PROGRAMS=======#
#(sleep 10; gkrellm) &
#(sleep 4; Eterm --trans -g 80x77+0+0) &
#(sleep 12; idesk) &

#=======MISC=======#
#(sleep 7; gnome-settings-daemon) &
#(sleep 2; gnome-theme-properties) &
#Esetroot -s /xp/walls/cmr04-1280.jpg
#(sleep 1; xset s off s noblank dpms 0 0 0) &
#export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$QTDIR/usr/lib/qt3/lib/
#export OPERA_FORCE_JAVA_ENABLED=1
#export LC=C
#export LC_ALL=C
#export QT_XFT=true
#export GDK_USE_XFT=1
enable_X11_numlock &

#=========DESKTOPS========#
exec /usr/bin/startgnome
#exec /usr/bin/startkde

uh, sorry for a stupid question, but what's all the "sleep" for? I mean, that will make the startup bloody slow, won't it? or just give the apps some time to do...stuff?

Edit: I should take more than 2 seconds to look at that script...so I'm guessing the sleep will dictate the startup order, right? Anyway don't mind this post...:woops:

Edited by arthur

The sleep dictates the number of seconds to wait before actually starting a program. All other programs will run while that sleep is counting down, though. This is useful if you have, for instance, Esetroot set your backgrounds in a line after you start a transparent Eterm. You would put a sleep statement on the Eterm so that the background can be set before the term starts.

yes. example. You don't want Eterm to load b4 Esetroot sets the background or your transparency....ummm....won't be :D If you use say, alsaplay to play a sound, but you need artsd or esd for fullduplex you'll only have a 2 maybe 3 second window of time to get it right so that they both load and function. There are other issues I'm sure but......'sleep' gives you control over that.....coz w/o sleep we wouldn't work, would we? :lol2:

/that must be what my problem is :screwy:

Edited by bvc